On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Paul Schwebel wrote:

> Then, how do I get this to work? Say I put a
> .procmailrc in my home directory and another one in my
> wifes.
>
> The point of this is to filter the mail headers so
> that mail addressed to me goes to my mailbox and mail
> addressed to my wife goes to hers (we have different
> addresses that get forwarded to the same email account
> at my ISP).
>
> Now, say I log in. I have a .procmailrc in my home
> directory, so Linux invokes procmail. My recipe tries
> to move mail addressed to my wife into her home
> directory. I'm not logged in as root, so won't this
> fail?

Yes, in my opinion this will fail miserably. The problem here is that you
both receive mail via the same e-mail address (forwarded). There are
probably several complicated ways to get this eventually to work, maybe by
internally mailing messages accross, but this is of course a pain in the
ass. 1 solution I can think of is to "export" both your mail folders, into
a shared folder like /home/mail . In /home/mail you make then 2 folders,
one for you, the other for your wife. Give read / write / excecute acces to
both these folders of a common user (make something up like homemail or
something). Add yourselves into these groups, and then you and her can both
write and read into those folders. This way your .procmailrc can direct
messages to het straight into her mailfolder.

This of course has absolutely no point if you want total privacy, but hey,
you married her :-) LOL

Not sure what mail program you guys are using, but most standard
mailfolders can just be symlinked to the /home/mail/you or
/home/mail/your_wife folders.

Hope this helps ya,

greetings

Ralph