Well I do not know what to suggest. I fail to see how it could be the
operating system. If you make the right responses to the mail server, then
the mail server will send the mails.

> fetchmail:  POP3<  +OK <11346  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

OK the server responded to the original query from fetchmail. I guess you
missed off the first line of the dialogue when fetchmail introduced itself to
the server.
I notice the server name is smtp01.xxx.net  This is surprising since it is
conventional for the 'sending server' to be called 'smtp.domainname', and for
'receiving servers' to be called 'pop.domainname'. In the rare cases where
the same server is used for send and receive they are often called
'mail.domainname' Make absolutely sure this is the correct server.

> fetchmail:  POP3>  CAPA\r
When I tried on my system fetchmail did not make this dialogue. I do not know
what CAPA means, nor do I understand why fetchmail did it.

> fetchmail:  POP3<  -ERR authorization first
The server replies that it is expecting a login sequence

> fetchmail:  authorization first
> fetchmail:  POP3>  USER  satimis \ r
This is a normal fetchmail user log on. The user name is 'satimis'

> fetchmail:  POP3<  +OK
Now the server asks for password

> fetchmail:  POP3>  PASS * \ r
The password is given. I assume you entered it correctly with the correct
case.
Hmmm I wonder if character set could have something to do with it Might be
worth trying with US-ASCII. You don't have any 'exotic' characters in here do
you?

> fetchmail:  POP3<  -ERR authorization failed
Well it certainly looks as of your mail server does not like the
username/password combination

> fetchmail:  authorization failed
> fetchmail:  authorization failed on [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> fetchmail:  POP3>  Quit \ r
> fetchmail:  Query status = 3 (AUTHFAIL)
> fetchmail:  Normal termination.  Status 0
> Done
>
> I still can't discover the failure cause.  Netscape browser works properly.
>
> B.R.
> Stephen

How about opening a new mail account and forwarding all your old mails there
:-)