On Sunday 25 November 2001 06:45 am, you wrote:
> On Sunday 25 November 2001 04:26, Andrew Scotchmer wrote:
> > There is nothing I would like to see than Linux becoming the main OS on
> > the PC market.  I wish it well and hope that it's popularity grows from
> > strength to strength in the future.  Unfortunatly after my vacation into
> > the world of windows I have to admit I doubt that such a dream will
> > become a reality. This I beleave, is because of the many distro's that
> > are currently on the market each competing for a bit of the pie.  Unless
> > there is a
> > standardisation in the Linux world we will not attract the home user in
> > any significant number.
>
> Great idea! But why stop there? ake the concept to the auto industry and
> stop them from making all those different models of cars and SUVs and
> things. One factory, one model for everybody. According to your reasoning
> this will expand the market for cars enormously.
>
> > I know that the software I want to run wil be compatable with it.
>
> As long as you only want to run windows software, sure <shrug> .
> Deliberately non-linux example: Mac users will tell you that MS-Office for
> Mac is superior in many, many respects to the windows version. Of course,
> it doesn't run on windows so if you wanted to run it, you're out of luck.
> Linux example: I regard Galeon as the king of browsers. It doesn't run on
> Windows.
>
> I'll confess that I still miss Paint Shop Pro. The GIMP is just as
> powerful, but I just don't like its interface.  But for the difference in
> price I'll happily adapt.
>
> >If I
> > have a problem I can ask a friend who may know the answer or may know
> > others that do because we all run the same OS and are comfortable with
> > it as it has remained unchanged now for a few years.
>
> Try to make some new friends who use linux, then. Subscribing to this list
> is a good start. <g>
>
> > Now lets look at Linux.  I run Suse 7.2 which although similar to
> > Mandrake 8.1 is also very different.  What works on my system may not do
> > so on another vendors distro.  Many times have I tried to install the
> > lastest piece of software only to discover that this library file was
> > missing or such a file needs updating and I have to go hunting the
> > internet for the needed file in order to run the program.
>
> Correct. And yes, it is a pain in the backside. But have you noticed that
> when you install a new app on win9x it can simply replace those other
> files without asking your permission, without even telling you about it.
> And suddenly some other app mystriously stops working ... I've been told
> the situation is slightly better on Win NT/00/XP. At least the linux way
> puts me in charge of what libraries are on my system. This takes effort,
> true.
>
> > My point is that until Linux becomes more standardised and unified then
> > it will never overtake the windows OS.

> [...]

  Very well said Michel! I'm extremely new to Linux (hell...I'd never even
*seen* Linux on a computer til 8 months ago!), but I find the diversity
itself is the definition of 'Innovation'. M$ doesn't really change anything
with their OS, except to try and make things 'prettier' (which IMHO they
truly screwed up with XP). Also, I've been keeping up in the XP
NG...naturally there's been a lot of complaints, but too many of them are
answered with 'change your hardware to make it work right'. How come M$ can
have people do this and no one bitches, but when someone from the 'other
side' finds out that their modem isn't supported, all hell breaks loose and
the Linux world is shit?
  I'm finally at a place where I don't actually mind the status quo. Linux,
and all the distributions are like having vanilla ice cream (the kernel), but
a cupboard *full* of different toppings!

  John
--

If you can't use Linux, you deserve to stay with M$