you have a small flaw in your logic...

whenever any company releases a product that does something better, it gets
adopted by others because it is better.

when a company release something that sucks.. it doesn't usually get
adopted, (unless there are marketing reasons or blackmail behind it..)

Winblows knicked ideas from Mac, they knicked stuff from bsd.. they knicked
lots of stuff I think... why? because it
did the job easier and simplier then what they had at the time, (assuming
they had something.)

linux then knicked stuff from M$,, like KDE's layout and format... why?
because it was easier to understand, and
the majority of people already understand it.

nobody is suggesting that linux should knick crap like BSOD's or fat32 or
adopt its usability in reiserfs or anything..
but there is nothing wrong with copying the functionality of useful
stuff..stuff that makes things more efficient (there is that word again.)

when ABS for cars came out, wow, what a reaction, but it was patented
worldwide, once it expired, it got installed into most new mid to high end
cars,, why? because it saved lives..(you can equate that to increased
efficiency if you like, I have always found that I work better when I'm
alive.) who cares who invented it?

Don't let hate for M$ blind you, the only area where M$ has superiority over
linux is its simplicity... even most linux diehards are not blind to that...
but things are getting closer.. why? because we can take the best of their
ideas, (or ideas that they have knicked) and leave the dross with winblows..
and slowly linux is doing just that..

rgds

Frank

PS, you don't need an application to install windows apps, you find an
install.exe file, and you dbl click on it.. and then answer questions..
thats it... rpmdrake is good and a huge step up from compiling at a console,
but its still lagging behind just starting a setup.exe file...

for better or worse, I think that is one of the main reasons that even
experianced windows users don't like linux (and most of us started as
experianced windows users.)