On Tue, 18 Dec 2001 23:32:56 -0600
mycal62 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Mark Weaver wrote:
> >
> > Question that is...
> >
> > over the last few days since I used Gmc to browse a few directories last weekend,
>everytime I start the Kde desktop Gmc filemanager appears along with "all" the Gnome
>desktop icons.
> >
> > what in the world is making this happen and how can I make it stop. its so bad I
>can't sleep at night cause the clowns will eat me!
> >
> > --
> > daRcmaTTeR
> >
> > Registered Linux User 182496
> > Mandrake 8.1
> >  10:05pm  up 2 days, 13:46,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
> >

> I had the same prob just today, I don't know what caused it and will
> follow this thread but I fixed it by uninstalling gmc which I don't use
> anyway. When logged in as a user I use the file manager ( su mode ) if I
> want a file manager that is more than konqueror. after all , If I'm in
> kde I run Kde. if In Gnome run Gnome. but that's just me:-)
>
> Kinda a hammer approach I know but it let me sleep.
>  ( plus you can always put it back when the solution is found. )

Anytime gmc is launched in a wm that supports desktop handlers and icons
then gnc will dispaly the gnome icons.
This will now occur anytime the same wm is started.

To prevent/change this when this is not what you want to occur you must
'Exit' gmc.
This is not accomplished by just closing the the program, that still
leaves the actual process running.
In gmc from the Commands drop down menu select Exit.
This stops the process and the icons will disappear.

   Charles