Maureen L. Thomas wrote:

>I upgraded to KDE 2.2 and am using K-Office.  So far it hasn't crashed
>or froze on me and I have imported all the documents I was using from
>Lotus SmartSuite and it hasn't lost a thing.  I am very pleased with
>it.  Some small improvements in K-Spread are needed, like multi copy,
>but otherwise it works just fine.  KWord does everything that I need for
>home and for a couple of non profit orgs I help out.  All in all it all
>works fairly decently.

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

I have the same feeling.  StarOffice has much more than I need and is
non-free.  Open Office is not ready with its features.  KWord is OK if
you stay away from the Lucida fonts (which will permanently destroy the
structure of your document for printing) and you take care and don't try
to stretch its abilities into a framemaker.

For docs in excess of 20 pages and for all technical works, I lean to
LyX and LaTEX, because I learned on what eventually became Borland's
Sprint.  StarOffice I see as something nice if you want to make a
presentation with photos printed right in them, but even then I would
prefer the higher performance available from Applix, even though I have
to pay for it.

So I agree, why use something with more capability than you need?

Open Office has some mighty concepts, the most powerful of which is to
use a plain-text data storage format (with XML encoding, but no special
characters), and it might be wonderful someday, but right now you cannot
install it to the spot specified by the Linux Standard Base for add-on
software and expect it to work, which is a fatal flaw for a distro that
is trying to comply with the LSB.

AbiWord is good for some.  I like emacs and LyX, and sometrimes use Ted,
which will give me richest text format output, and I have used KWord
successfully for smaller reports.  The important thing is not what your
personal preference is but that it will handle the work you do.

Civileme