On Sun, 2001-12-30 at 17:52, Doug Lerner wrote:
> I wouldn't mind doing that myself, and encouraging our company to do
> that. I have no particular love for Microsoft proprietary products. But I
> can't force our customers to change. As we say here in Japan, "the
> customer is God." If the client wants to send me an Office file I have to
> be able to see it. And I have to be able to send something back to the
> customer that they can open.
>
> doug

I hear you. As a consultant, I deal with customers' Word and Excel docs
on a daily basis. For my own work, I use StarOffice 6 beta, and all my
files are saved in SO's native xml formats. When I need to send a
document to a customer, I export it to the appropriate MS Office format,
then send it to them. I also, without trying to sound like a zealot or
something, warn them about these kinds of things, so they aren't
surprised when it finally happens.

There's a really good article at:
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tpromag/200104/200104.htm
which I found very informative, and which I emailed several of my
customers. They are all ignoring my warnings, but I will have the last
laugh, and will likely make a *really* good living when they suddenly
need to convert their systems and data...

Dave
--
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and good
with ketchup.