On 30 Dec 2001 09:27:29 -0600
Dave Sherman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> studiouisly spake these words to ponder:

> On Sat, 2001-12-29 at 20:32, daRcmaTTeR wrote:
> > On Sun, 30 Dec 2001 09:17:59 +0900
> > Doug Lerner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> studiouisly spake these words to ponder:
> >

> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sunday, December 30, 2001):

> > > This is absolutely impossible for me. I exchange so many files
> > > (spreadsheet, doc and presentation) with so many customers and other
> > > staff members that unfortunately "Office" has become the standard by
> > > which we exchange compatible files. Not being compatible with MS Office -
> > > at least in my case - is unthinkable.
> > >

> > I know I'm coming in late on this thread, but Star Office handles this very thing
>beautifully. "ALL" of it.
>
> I think Civileme's point was that if/when the UCITA law passes in
> Washington, USA, then Microsoft (headquartered in Washington) will be
> able to make a minor change to their proprietary .doc/.xls/whatever file
> formats, and it will be illegal for Sun or anyone else to
> reverse-engineer that file format to create a new filter for their
> competing office suite. And if anyone DOES reverse-engineer the file
> format, then MS can sue them to smithereens, and even try to go for a
> prison sentence, since their EULA will carry the force of law.
>
> Civileme's further point, to which Doug balked, was that we should all
> be looking to move away from MS' (or anyone else's, for that matter)
> proprietary file formats, as a pre-emptive move so that we are not
> locked into yet another MS monopoly if/when UCITA passes. In our own
> self-interest, we should be changing to open file formats, like xml
> (which StarOffice 6.0 uses, by the way).
>
> Dave
> --

I whole-heartedly agree with that. The last thing we need is for MS to bring yet
another monopoly situation down upon a computing public make us more and more dendant
upon them for everything. Their craddle-to-grave mentality leaves me with a sour taste
in my mouth.

--
daRcmaTTeR
If at first you don't succeed do what your wife told you to do

Registered Linux User 182496
Mandrake 8.1
  1:05pm  up 14 days,  4:54,  1 user,  load average: 0.77, 0.81, 0.65