I've been having problems getting my usb card reader to be recognized
properly. I think I may have come upon some clues, anyway. When I have
my card reader plugged in, with or without booting the computer with a
card in the reader, a 'modprobe usb-storage' will result in an SDA being
  created, and Hardrake sees the thing as a 1 gig scsi drive. Even if I
remove the card, it still sees the card reader as a 1 gig drive.
   But I've found that if I plug in my usb-equipped Olympus C-700 (not
listed in gPhoto, btw, and none of the other entries seem to want to
work with it), I find that it is recoginzed, it sees that it has 64
megabytes, and when I remove the card, Hardrake reflects that, giving a
capacity of zero, and setting a couple of the other parameters to -1.
   I think that the misidentifying of the card reader's capacity is
possibly part of the problem with mounting it - I am successful in
mounting the Olympus. I don't know of a way to tell it, hey, this card
reader is just 64 megs, or should be treated just like the camera when I
plug it in.
   But at least I'm getting closer!

--
Larry Varney