On Tuesday 01 January 2002 20:19, you wrote:
>   I thought - hey, forget about getting my Simpletech Flashlink combo
> SmartMedia and CompactFlash card reader to work with Linux - I'll just buy
> one of the  Sandisk units. I went to Sandisk's website, and yes, they do
> state that two of their units, the SSDR31 and 33 models, are compatible
> with Linux.
>   The first is CompactFlash (including type II) USB, and the second is
> Secure Digital & MultiMediaCard USB. Neither is SmartMedia. Sigh.

Yeah, it can be a bummer.  I have one of their older models (ssdr-05) and
I've been trying to get it to work for weeks.  I guess I'll have to bite the
bullet and get a reader that's really compatible.  The only consolation is
that I've seen a lot of posts around that say the SSDR31 is really
cool-mounts no hassle, just like a drive, and the cards can even be
partitioned.  Some people are trying to figure out how to actually get them
to boot the peanut OS.  If they manage to figure out how to get a boot sector
to work I think that would be super cool.  Anyway, the darn flash reader is
pretty much the only thing that is keeping me from completely ditching
Windows.  Right now I have 3 machines that are only linux, one that dual
boots linux/W98 and one that duals linux/NT Server.  And then there is the
one dedicated to W98 (my wife's computer).  That has the SanDisk on it, and
she's actually complaining because the Win TCP/IP locks up about once a day,
and she has to reboot.  With a cardreader, I can convert that machine, at
least to dual boot, and I don't think I'll hear any more whining.  My other
dual boot machines get popped into Windows about once a month to run
updates--that's it.  My wife thinks that the Liquid Theme running with the
Slick icon set is "pretty", so I won't get any complaints about the desktop,
either.

Wish me luck,
e.