On Monday 31 December 2001 19:36 pm, you wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Dec 2001, poogle wrote:
> > I may be completely off base here but I'll try anyway, I have an Olympus
> > USB camera which uses Smartmedia cards but is not recognised by any of
> > the "photo" packages.
> > Thanks to Ric Tibbets I am able to download from it by doing the
> > following:-
> >
> > modprobe usb-storage
> > mount /dev/sda1 -t vfat /mnt/cam (where /mnt/cam is the mountpoint I
> > created)
> >
> > Checking Hardrake it shows my camera as a disk called /dev/sda, note it
> > does not show it as /dev/sda1 which it is but then HDs are shown as
> > /dev/hda & /dev/hdb, again no drive number. It may be that you need to
> > modprobe usb-storage and then mount it as /dev/sda1
> >
> > BTW, I don't know anything about saving to such a device.
>
> A drive doesn't have a number, partitions have numbers.

Yes, I know that, I apparently  expressed myself badly and was less clear
than I had hoped but the poster I replied to appeared to have been misled by
HardDrake showing his device as /dev/sda and had then set up fstab using
/dev/sda. The reference to hard drives having no numbers shown in HardDrake
was intended to emphasise the point that HardDrake only shows drive names and
not partitions within those drives.

--

Poogle
Registered Linux user 182657 (added to sig for the benefit of those irritated