On Thursday 03 January 2002 10:51 pm, Julian Opificius wrote:
> Ed,
>
> I understand the /etc/hosts file. But I thought "named" was the guy that
> shared the info in /etc/hosts with client machines making dns requests. Do
> i have it wrong?  YES

Sorry to but in;
if you are not going to use a local nameserver then every computer must have
an hosts file.
Windows machines use a \windows\hosts  or maybe diff on win2k
If you fill in the hosts file with the ip  and names the sysem checks it
first, then if it can't find it it calls on the ISP nameservers.

so, edit the hosts file for your windows systems and for Linux system.
setup the windows network to use your gateway (10.0.0.1) and isp nameservers.
and your good to go!

Gerald