>Who fulfills DNS requests for local machines if not anoka? I've been told
>that bind doesn't look at /etc/hosts, which brought my world crashing down.
>Now what? :-)
>
>Thanks for your patience with me, I'm sure we're nearly at the bottom of
this.

>julian.

if you are running DNS (named / bind), on anoka, and have the others set to
look at anoka for dns, then anoka will look at the files under /var/named
(or whatever the directory option is set to in /etc/named.conf).

These files (either directly under /var/named, or under some subdirectory
(possibly zone), are what will equate a name to an IP on your local network.

To set all this up, you'd have to learn bind's syntax for what it calls
'zone' files.

Michael

--
Michael Viron