On Tue, 2002-01-15 at 11:27, Kenn Yahoo wrote:
> Greetings ....
>
> I want to install a program (LinuxTrade) ... when I tried to install it, i
> received a message that "failed dependencies: curl is needed" ...
>
> so i downloaded curl and attempted to install it but received a message,
> "file /usr/lib/libcurl.so.2 from install of curl-7.9.2-1 conflicts with file
> from package libcurl2-7.8.1-1mdk" ....
>
> so, having nothing to lose (by which i mean, it's just my experimental box),
> I went to Package Manager to attempt to uninstall libcurl2 so that i could
> install cURL ... again, an error message, this time "error: removing this
> package would break dependencies ... curl-lib is needed by rpmdrake .....
> libcurl.so.2 is needed by rpmdrake ... libcurl.so.2 is needed by grpmi"
>
> what am i doing wrong?

It doesn't sound like you are doing anything "wrong". This happens
occasionally, and it is really just a matter of knowing you are smarter
than the software you are using. You can try the --nodeps option when
installing an rpm, and it will ignore these kinds of dependency errors.

Example:
# rpm -Uvh --nodeps somepackage.i386.rpm

The danger here is that if you install a package with one or more
conflicting files (like libcurl.so.2), you may break the program or
programs which depend on the other version of libcurl.

But since you have nothing to lose, just give it a try and see what
happens. If other stuff gets broken in the proces, you can either try to
resolve the conflist, or go back to the previous version of libcurl by
reinstalling the Mandrake package which supplies that file.

Dave
--
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and good
with ketchup.