>   i use rpmdrake once in a while but mainly use the
> commandline rpm. read the manpage to learn more but here is
> the short end of it

Thanks for this - i am preferring the command line already for
this... if for no other reason than I can copy out the messages
from it!  I am getting pretty much the same results as before.

I am still  trying to upgrade xmms - first i did

 rpm -iv xmms-1.2.6-1.i386.rpm but realised that i might need to
do an upgrade and then did the following:

# rpm -Uv xmms-1.2.6-1.i386.rpm
error: failed dependencies:
        xmms = 1.2.5-4mdk is needed by xmms-esd-1.2.5-4mdk
        xmms = 1.2.5-4mdk is needed by xmms-gnome-1.2.5-4mdk
   xmms = 1.2.5-4mdk is needed by xmms-mikmod-1.2.5-4mdk
426 root@psybernet:/home/walter/wldownloads/xmms (12:25:22)
#

This leaves me confused as to what it is telling me and what to
do now.

It seems the old xmms is needed by some of the files that
support it???

Walter