On Wed, 2002-02-13 at 07:27, George Pitcher wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is my first post.
>
> I have Mandrake 7.0 installed on my 'docked' Dell laptop. I want to be able
> to print via ethernet to either of my network printers. Ethernet is working
> as I internet access and Apache is serving up the basic fare (so far).
>
> Can anyone tell me what I need to do (in plain English please) to get either
> of these printers to work for me (HP LJ4MV[Postscript] and Apple 12/640PS
> Duplex)?

Are these true network printers with their own IP address, or are they
simple shared printers attached to a PC? Either way, Mandrake has
Printer Setup tools to do the job, you just need to know what type of
network printer you are setting up.

> Also, The Mandrake was grabed from a May 2000 Mag CD (PC Plus - UK). Is
> there any advantage in downloading the v8.2 ISOs and starting all over again
> or will this do me fine? My main aim is to have a LAMP setup with PHP.

If your hardware can handle it, I would definitely recommend the upgrade
to 8.1. Since 8.2 is still beta, you might want to wait a bit for that.

I am running 8.1 on my IBM ThinkPad (laptop). Specs: 366MHz Celeron,
256MB RAM, 4.5GB HD, and using ReiserFS. It is quick and stable, much
more than I can say for the Win98 which was originally on the box.

Dave
--
Beware the wrath of dragons, for you are crunchy, and good with ketchup.