On Wed, 2002-02-13 at 08:22, George Pitcher wrote:
> They are 'shared' printers without ip addresses, so please advise on how to
> activate them.

You will need to set up your printers as Samba (or SMB) printers, where
Samba is the application that allows your system to talk to Windows PCs
and servers via Network Neighborhood. Personally, I use a GUI tool
called KUPS to setup my wife's shared printer on my Linux laptop. It's a
KDE app, and it works great. Nore that for older versions of Mandrake
(and KDE), Kups may look different than I describe, or may not exist at
all! But hopefully it will be there for you...

Launch Kups, and if you don't get a wizard automatically, then click the
Printer menu, then Add Printer. The wizard will launch. Click Next to
move to step 1.

Choose SMB (Windows shared printer), and click Next.

If you need to enter a user name and/or password, do so. For my wife's
Win98 desktop, we have no password set for her shared printer, so I just
checked the Guest Account box. Click Next.

You will be prompted to choose a network printer. Click the Scan Network
button, and it should detect the workgroup you are in. Click the plus
(+) next to the workgroup, then double-click the computer that is
sharing the printer. The correct printer should appear, and if you click
that printer, the text boxes for Workgroup, Server, and Printer will be
automagically filled in. Click Next.

Kups will build a driver database if it can then you will be prompted to
choose a manufacturer and printer model. Do so, then click Next.

You will now be given the option to print a test page, and configure
printer settings like default page size, etc. Do whatever you need to,
then click Next.

Choose whether you want any banners to be included with each printed
page. Most people don't want anything. Click Next.

Now you get to choose a printer name, and add any comments like location
and description. Do this, and click Next.

Finally, you are asked to confirm all your choices. Make sure everything
looks ok, then click OK. You will be prompted for the root password.
Your printer will now appear in the main Kups window, and you can use
this program to monitor print jobs, watch the print queue, change
default print settings, etc.

Congratulations! You have a shared network printer setup.

> >I am running 8.1 on my IBM ThinkPad (laptop). Specs: 366MHz Celeron,
> >256MB RAM, 4.5GB HD, and using ReiserFS. It is quick and stable, much
> >more than I can say for the Win98 which was originally on the box.
>
> The Dell has a 366P2 chip with 128Mb RAM and a 6Gb HD. I'm coming from Mac
> (unstable) and WinNT (v stable) environments towards Win2K and Linux at the
> same time (new laptop).

It sounds like your system should handle Mandrake 8.1 just fine. If you
upgrade your RAM to 256, you will definitely be good to go. I should
mention that I use Gnome for my desktop (not the default KDE) -- in my
experience, Gnome is faster and more stable than KDE. As always, Your
Mileage May Vary. If you use a lightweight window manager like BlackBox
or IceWM, you will find your system even more responsive. I am telling
you this because if you use Gnome or KDE with 128 MB RAM, you may find
it a bit sluggish. Hard to say for sure, but it is possible.

Dave
--
Beware the wrath of dragons, for you are crunchy, and good with ketchup.