> I hate to debate.  However you're sucking me in.  *Sigh*
>
> shane wrote:
> > the real point here is that you can have the "full KDE" or the "CL only"
> > and about 20 flavors in between.  how many can you get on most other
> > operating systems?  ok now how many of those come with it?
>
> Yes I'll agree with that.  But I still contend its not easy to do or
> setup properly for the avg user.  I disregard 4 year olds, they know
> nothing, ergo they have nothing to learn but what you present to them.
> IOW, we've got habits as adults & need to sometimes re-learn.  It's
> tough.
>
> > really it is, you just have to be totally new.  i never could get the
> > second graders i taught linux to understand why they had to know there
> > was a "c drive" and a "d drive" and that the d drive on one machine is a
> > CD and on another it the CD is "e" and.......
>
> see above :)
>
> > a _very_ large part of that is the install.  if you could walk into your
> > local "compfryusacityeletric superstore" and try out a few windows, a few
> > linux and maybe a bsd before you buy, and go home with it all installed,
> > huge parts of that would go away.
>
> Doubtful, and the install is not the largest problem.  The largest
> problem is the way *Nix was evolved.  It wasn't meant to be anything but
> a distributed computing environment.  So it was not meant either to be
> used by anything but gurus. Configuration & use aren't easy on Linux.
> Maybe that will change.  I hope so.  I mean, why do I have to edit a cfg
> file in *nix to get a modem to HUP & NOHUP properly(If that's a good
> example?).  My point...I can't even give a decent example because this
> OS is not intuitive.
can I butt in here? no machine can be considered to be "intuitive" it can
only be either be more or less intuitive, in relation to some other object.
what if at some point some of the gurus said" lets take this great open
software, and make it ...well... use-able? by joe desktop? and to do that,
lets start with hardware compatiblity and say.... easy install in a computer
that already has windows installed....  hey since it is suppossed to be
automagic, we can name it after a magician from the 60's comics,,, Mandarke
The Magician.
now mind you this is all a fantasy. and a sign I have way too much time to
think and not enough to do with my hands.