I hate to debate.  However you're sucking me in.  *Sigh*

shane wrote:

> the real point here is that you can have the "full KDE" or the "CL only"
> and about 20 flavors in between.  how many can you get on most other
> operating systems?  ok now how many of those come with it?

Yes I'll agree with that.  But I still contend its not easy to do or
setup properly for the avg user.  I disregard 4 year olds, they know
nothing, ergo they have nothing to learn but what you present to them.
IOW, we've got habits as adults & need to sometimes re-learn.  It's
tough.

> really it is, you just have to be totally new.  i never could get the
> second graders i taught linux to understand why they had to know there was
> a "c drive" and a "d drive" and that the d drive on one machine is a CD and
> on another it the CD is "e" and.......

see above :)

> a _very_ large part of that is the install.  if you could walk into your
> local "compfryusacityeletric superstore" and try out a few windows, a few
> linux and maybe a bsd before you buy, and go home with it all installed,
> huge parts of that would go away.

Doubtful, and the install is not the largest problem.  The largest
problem is the way *Nix was evolved.  It wasn't meant to be anything but
a distributed computing environment.  So it was not meant either to be
used by anything but gurus.  Configuration & use aren't easy on Linux.
Maybe that will change.  I hope so.  I mean, why do I have to edit a cfg
file in *nix to get a modem to HUP & NOHUP properly(If that's a good
example?).  My point...I can't even give a decent example because this
OS is not intuitive.  Granted M$'s isn't either in some ways, however
they at least *attempt* to make it so, and do well at it for the most
part.  I'll leave the IRQ conflicts & installation problems out of
this.  That's normal for any OS.

> > Either way, we all will use the programs/software we find best for us.
>
> optimist!  :-)

Ya ya, sue me ;)  I am, always will be.  Life's too good not to be.

Femme