On Tuesday 12 March 2002 01:42, Miark wrote:
> > Doubtful, and the install is not the largest problem.  The largest
> > problem is the way *Nix was evolved.  It wasn't meant to be anything but
> > a distributed computing environment.  So it was not meant either to be
> > used by anything but gurus.  Configuration & use aren't easy on Linux.
> > Maybe that will change.  I hope so.

Miark is right -  it already has. I've used Windows from 3.1 to 98, RedHat
6.* and Mandrake from 7.0 on. Mandrake 8.* is the easiest OS I've ever worked
with (big thanks to the Mandrake development team).

> When it comes to just getting the computer to work, I'd have to
> say that messing with config files is the -exception- rather than
> the rule.

IMHO, it used to be the rule; now it's the exception.

> > I mean, why do I have to edit a cfg file in *nix to get a
> > modem to HUP & NOHUP properly(If that's a good example?).
>
> I don't have a modem in my Linux box, so I really don't know how
> tough it is to get one to work. Neverthless, even if it is tough,
> it's still the exception.

It would have to be a pretty weird modem not to run kppp out of the box.

> > My point...I can't even give a decent example because this
> > OS is not intuitive.  Granted M$'s isn't either in some ways, however
> > they at least *attempt* to make it so, and do well at it for the most
> > part.
>
> I'd have to disagree because I think this is a learn/relearn issue.
> Setting up a video card, for example, is really no more intuitive
> in Winsux than it is in Linux, and I see this all the time whilst
> consulting. All my clients use Winsux, and not one of them could
> tell you how to even change the screen resolution. I think it just
> seems more intuitive because most people learn the M$ method first.

I couldn't agree more.  MS is sometimes amazingly counter-intuitive, but
they've convinced people that "computers are like that". Take clicking on
icons - lots of people in my office are still stuck in Win95 mode, and
reflexively double-click an icon in KDE, thus opening two instances of the
same program.  And when it doesn't open immediately, they keep clicking - the
record is 16 instances of Netscape (which is such a RAM-hog that the computer
slowed so much I couldn't move the mouse to close them and had to do Ctrl-Esc
and have a coffee while I waited for the window to come up).  But I don't
blame people - unlearning is always more difficult than learning.  When I was
teaching t'ai chi, the students who drove me crazy were generally not the
martial arts newbies with no flexibility or co-ordination, but the ones who'd
done karate.  No matter how often I said "Relax! Drop your shoulders! Don't
lock your knees!", the muscle memory was still there.

If developers want to make interfaces more user-friendly, instead of trying
to mimic Windows, they might be better off looking at Macintosh.  I've never
had a Mac, but I have never, ever heard a Mac user complain about Macs (even
those Windows users who refuse to consider any other OS still bitch about
Windows - except they think they're bitching about computers in general).

Robin