From: Myers, Dennis R NWO [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 9:54 AM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: [newbie] ATAPI ZIP drive not working under LM8.1

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Vogel, Andrew
(VOGELAP)
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 8:31 AM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'; '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: [newbie] ATAPI ZIP drive not working under LM8.1

I've got an ATAPI ZIP drive installed in my Linux-Mandrake system (running
on a Celeron 533, 256 megs memory), and it's not working (it's the SECOND
device on the SECOND IDE channel and harddrake reports it as hdd). The drive
powers during POST, so I know the connections are good.

I've got the following in my /etc/fstab:
/dev/hdd4 /mnt/zip auto
user,iocharset=iso8859-1,rw,umask=0,sync,exec,codepage=850,noauto 0 0

When I enter "mount /mnt/zip" with a known-good ZIP disk in the drive, I get
the following:
root.drewvogel:/etc$ mount /mnt/zip
mount: /dev/hdd4 is not a block device

Dmesg reports it as there:
hda: ST36530A, ATA DISK drive
hdb: WDC AC26400R, ATA DISK drive
hdc: SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-152L, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdd: IOMEGA ZIP 100 ATAPI, ATAPI FLOPPY drive

I'm not sure how to proceed. Can someone help?

Hi, take a look at your /etc/mtab, what does that say for the zip drive? Let us know, this is nudging at my memory, seems like I have the answer in my log at home. I'll check tonight if you don't have a solution by then.

Dennis M.