"Vogel, Andrew (VOGELAP)" wrote:

> I've got an ATAPI ZIP drive installed in my Linux-Mandrake system (running
> on a Celeron 533, 256 megs memory), and it's not working (it's the SECOND
> device on the SECOND IDE channel and harddrake reports it as hdd). The drive
> powers during POST, so I know the connections are good.
>
> I've got the following in my /etc/fstab:
> /dev/hdd4 /mnt/zip auto
> user,iocharset=iso8859-1,rw,umask=0,sync,exec,codepage=850,noauto 0 0
>
> When I enter "mount /mnt/zip" with a known-good ZIP disk in the drive, I get
> the following:
> root.drewvogel:/etc$ mount /mnt/zip
> mount: /dev/hdd4 is not a block device
>
> Dmesg reports it as there:
> hda: ST36530A, ATA DISK drive
> hdb: WDC AC26400R, ATA DISK drive
> hdc: SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-152L, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> hdd: IOMEGA ZIP 100 ATAPI, ATAPI FLOPPY drive
>
> I'm not sure how to proceed. Can someone help?

Hi Andrew. I tried helping you before, guess I failed. Sorry. Just out of
curiosity, are you running Mandrake v8.1? If so, I would suggest (as a last
resort) disabling devfs. Its caused problems in various places on other users
machines.

Here, I couldn't burn CD's with my CDRW until I disabled it.

As root, go to /etc/lilo.conf and edit it. See the line about devfs? If it is
enabled, use what I have below. I hope this helps you, because otherwise I
just really don't know...

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
vga=normal
default=linux
keytable=/boot/us.klt
lba32
prompt
timeout=300
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hda6
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img
        append=" devfs=nomount quiet"  (this is the line here!)
        vga=788
        read-only
other=/dev/hda1
        label=windows