On Thu, 2002-04-04 at 13:07, FemmeFatale wrote:
> Damian wrote:
>

> > actually there is a better way.
> >
> > last night i installed KDE 3.0 by getting all RPMS, opening a terminal
> > and doing a " urpmi ./+ "
> >
> > it asked me for the three MDK cd's and got a lot of packages to solve
> > dependencies... it worked fine, tho kde 3  has bugs.. :o(
> >
> > Damian
> >

> what does opening a term & typing "urpmi ./+" do then exactly?  So you
> still have to d/l all the RPM's of KDE3 yourself & urpmi just takes care
> of the deps?  And if so will it still install KDE3 beside your existing
> KDE2.x?
>
> :)  Tough questions I know, but I'm sure you'll pull through this crisis
> for me Damian ;p
>
> I have confidence in your non-Fudding abilities
>
> Femme

It installs and runs separately.  It is KDE3 on the kdm selection and

11 KDE

on Xtart from console.

You need about 90 Mb space in / or /opt and if you do not have a
separate /opt and / doesn't have that much room, then do this:

1. Open a terminal
2. su to root
3.

mkdir -p /usr/opt
ln -s /usr/opt /opt
exit

before you install.

It seems to run well as security level 2 and to have problems at 3 or
higher.  Some of the new open sockets do not appear to get the right
permissions for intewrprocess communications at higher security levels.

Civileme