Hi

On Thursday 11 April 2002 05:25, Femme wrote:
> I had some problems with X.  It crashed, hard.  Mouse/keyboard,
> evertying stopped working.  Somehow, through a miracle I think, I got
> it to reboot by hitting teh reset button or just banging keys.
>
> Needless to say, I lost all the mail I'd d/led today.  I also lost some
> small bookmarks *No biggy there*.  The mail is what I was ticked about.
>  I couldn't figure out a way to save it.  I am using Sylpheed.
>
> any ideas to avoid this unfortunate situation in the future?

I have experienced a couple of TOTAL lockups too and survived them even
though had to do master reset. I waited for a while before resetting
hoping that the system wasn't too busy so it could write some of the
buffers back to disk (if it makes any difference, I'm not sure, someone
correct me if I'm wrong).

Filesystem is ext3 and has worked nicely. After reset the system just
checked the disk(s) and fixed whatever had to be fixed and up he(she?)
was again. It may be that something got lost but the important thing for
me is that the system is up and running and if errors occur I could try
to fix them. Anyway, what I tried to say was that if the keyb and mouse
die, it doesn't always mean that the whole system is dead. So next time
when the system freezes, spend few minutes doing something else and after
that you can play with the R-button.

Now about the filesystems, what I've been reading is that Reiser and XFS
are at their best in servers and since the writer of that article knows
Linux a lot better than me, I believe him and stick to ext3.

IDKITHABSIA
Cheers,
J.