On Thu, 2002-04-11 at 14:56, Jussi Aalto wrote:

> I have experienced a couple of TOTAL lockups too and survived them even
> though had to do master reset. I waited for a while before resetting
> hoping that the system wasn't too busy so it could write some of the
> buffers back to disk (if it makes any difference, I'm not sure, someone
> correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm glad to see that someone else is getting the same experience that I
have been with ext3. :)

And btw, this is off the topic, but this system really makes my XP
buddies look like they are in the dark ages.  They are still getting
blue screens, filesystem blowouts, and loads of viruses.  I had an XP
bud over here the other day, and I played Diablo2 for a long time under
LM81 with no crashes.  Ran smoother with no snags, too.  He and his
suitemates can't say that; in fact he eventually turned green and asked
me to quit the demo. ;)  In fact I have a 98 system here that was just
installed fresh; it's had the registry cleaned, debugged, and it was a
98Lite installation.

With all that clean, I could play at best for three hours at the most,
before some kind of invisible memory leak stops or crashes the system.
By comparison, D2Lod has NEVER (knock on wood) crashed on this LM81
system.  Combine that with the amount of time that ext3 has saved in
filesystem maintenance as compared to 98 or XP, and you've got a very,
very substantial time savings.  The productivity power of a properly
installed Linux system and ext3 is incomparable.

> Filesystem is ext3 and has worked nicely. After reset the system just
> checked the disk(s) and fixed whatever had to be fixed and up he(she?)
> was again. It may be that something got lost but the important thing for
> me is that the system is up and running and if errors occur I could try
> to fix them. Anyway, what I tried to say was that if the keyb and mouse
> die, it doesn't always mean that the whole system is dead. So next time
> when the system freezes, spend few minutes doing something else and after
> that you can play with the R-button.

I read shane's treatise on raw modeing the keyboard and doing the buffer
flushes.  What I think there is that if you have a system that you are
experimenting with and is not performing important functions and storing
any kind of data, then that's cool.  But if it's a production system
that needs to be coming back after a crash, and then the filesystem
requires a raw keyboard and buffer flushes in order to "better your
odds", and given the fact that the FS is supposed to be protecting data
in the first place, then that is unacceptable. A journaling FS's purpose
is to recover from a crash.

> Now about the filesystems, what I've been reading is that Reiser and XFS
> are at their best in servers and since the writer of that article knows
> Linux a lot better than me, I believe him and stick to ext3.
>
> IDKITHABSIA
> Cheers,
> J.

Thanks for the post,

LX

--
Kernel  2.4.8-26mdk     Mandrake Linux  8.1