On Wed, 2002-05-01 at 14:01, Miark wrote:
> > What ms considers to be illegal is the following:
> >
> > I buy a machine with preinstalled windows
> >
> > I uninstall windows and install a real os
> >
> > I sell/give the version of windows that came with the machine to someone
> > else
> >
> > What ms wants is that when I sell or give away the machine, I must
> > also hand the original version of windows to whoever gets the machine
> > also.
>
> That makes more sense, but not much more. Winblows, even on pre-installed
> computers, costs something, and that cost is passed on to the final
> consumer. So despite its cost being buried in a sticker price, you pay
> for Winsux on a pre-installed computer.
>
> In my way of thinking, if I pay for it, I have the right to sell it--
> even separately, if I choose.
>
> Miark

Ethically, you are correct.  Lawfully, you could be fined, sued or
jailed.  There has been a clear disparity of ethics and law within the
last 10 years; heads up.  Time to go activist, and get these losers out
of power.

If anyone sells a preloaded XP machine, I suggest strongly that all
identifying marks be removed, and possibly the machine be parted out or
recombined with other parts.  Serial numbers everywhere should be
removed.

Oh, and make sure you government-wipe the drive and load Mandrake.

Just a thought.  ;)

LX

--
Kernel  2.4.8-26mdk     Mandrake Linux  8.1