Marcia,

I have seen some replies to this, but don't think any of them have yet
touched on a crucial point:  Your laptop is running W98, so would
therefore be much more safely disposed sitting behind your linux box in
internet terms.

Does the laptop have an ethernet port, or can it be added?  If so, to my
mind the best scenario would be for the laptop to be connected to the
linux machine via ethernet - just a crossover cable between the two
would do this.  Then you set up internet connection sharing and firewall
on the linux box.  Add samba and you have the laptop able to share the
cable connection from behind a firewall, and move files/share printers
between the two machines.

Assuming that neither box has a network card (as you indicated the cable
modem is connected via USB), total cost for this would be almost nothing
for a NIC for the desktop and somewhat more for the laptop.  Like my
budgeting?

I have no idea what is available for the laptop, but you can probably
get a PCMCIA NIC for it.

HTH
Brian