Marcia,

Sorry for the delay - have been setting up a broadband for myself and
newbie has taken a back seat the last couple of days.  Sounds like you
are just about set hardware-wise and with 8.2 the software side should
be a breeze.

I think all you need to add is a cross-over network cable.  i.e. just
like the cable you have from the desktop to the cable modem, but with
some of the wires connected differently at one end.  You can get one of
these at your friendly computer store.

Now, do I understand correctly that you can connect the desktop to the
cable modem via USB?  First step (after you have your crossover cable)
is to do this and make sure you have internet on the desktop without
anything connected to the ethernet card.

Now plug the crossover cable between the laptop and desktop ethernet
ports.

Now run Control Center > Network & Internet > Connection Sharing

It will warn you that you must have a dedicated device to do this -
that's fine.  It will set up eth0 (your ethernet interface) to static
address 192.168.0.1 and enable Masquerading.

Set your laptop IP address to either DHCP or 192.168.0.2 (I prefer the
latter as static addresses give less room for problems).  All other
network settings on the laptop should be empty.

At this point you should have internet access on both machines.  You may
then choose to tighten up security a little by running
InteractiveBastille, but even without that you are much less visible and
vulnerable than before.  InteractiveBastille will ask a lot of questions
while providing a lot of info on how to answer them.  You'll learn a bit
and end up with a secure environment at the same time.

Good luck and have fun!
Brian