On Sun, 2002-05-19 at 07:01, Marcia wrote:
> I really do not think I need to do internet sharing afterall since my laptop
> linux is using USB cable internet independently of my desktop which is using
> the regular cable modem hookup. It seems to be working fine that way however
> is their a way I can network between the two machines through the cable modem
> that they are both hooked up to without getting another NIC card for the
> desktop? I only want to share files between the 2 computers and I guess I
> really do not need to share the internet afterall. How would I go about this?
> Do I still need the crossover cable for this? Something tells me yes. Any
> particular kind or speed, etc? Will I have to use samba for the filesharing
> after they are hooked up? Thanks for any help here.
>
> Sincerely.
>
> Marcia

Hi Marcia,

I think Harm's response covers your main question, but maybe I can
clarify a little more.

- using the cable modem as a hub
1. probably won't be workable
2. depends on the cable network for connectivity and is therefore
relatively slow compared with a LAN connection
3. May cost you a lot of money depending on how your usage is charged

- the crossed cable you need is a standard cat 5 cable with the wires
crossed.  easily available at any computer supply and totally
independent of your network card

- from what you describe and as long as both machines are running linux,
you probably don't need internet sharing except that if you use the port
on the laptop to connect to a second NIC on the desktop....If you run W$
on the laptop though it really should be "behind" the linux machine in
network terms for security.

- when it's all set up, the easiest means of sharing files would be NFS
if both are using linux.  webmin makes this easy to set up - I mean
REALLY easy!

- if you need to network also with the laptop running W$, then Samba
comes into play.  Again, not difficult to set up simple shares, in fact
with 8.2, virtually a one click operation.

Buy that second NIC and cable!

Be convinced! :-)

I'm not giving up easily! ;-)

Brian