On Sat, 25 May 2002 11:22:06 -0500 (CDT)
Dale Huckeby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>   This is my first post to the list.  Can anyone tell me how to install Gnome
> and Kde, but especially Gnome, without having Mandrake_Desk shoved down my
> throat.  I can't even install Midnight Commander without it, for Chrissakes!
> This is for 8.1.  If I can't get my desktop to be MY desktop, I'm going back
> to 7.2, which unlike 8.1 is lean and mean, or to another distro.
>
> Thanks,
> Dale Huckeby

mandrake desk? wth are you talking about?

if you are having a lot of trouble installing KDE by yourself ( BTW there
are howto's Everywhere! try any mandrake related site...),

try booting the installation CD, make no changes to the filesystems,
choose only KDE and GNOME related packages, and install...

HTH

Damian