On Sat, 25 May 2002, Damian G wrote:

> On Sat, 25 May 2002 11:22:06 -0500 (CDT)
> Dale Huckeby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> >   This is my first post to the list.  Can anyone tell me how to install Gnome
> > and Kde, but especially Gnome, without having Mandrake_Desk shoved down my
> > throat.  I can't even install Midnight Commander without it, for Chrissakes!
> > This is for 8.1.  If I can't get my desktop to be MY desktop, I'm going back
> > to 7.2, which unlike 8.1 is lean and mean, or to another distro.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dale Huckeby
> >

> mandrake desk? wth are you talking about?
>
> if you are having a lot of trouble installing KDE by yourself ( BTW there
> are howto's Everywhere! try any mandrake related site...),
>
> try booting the installation CD, make no changes to the filesystems,
> choose only KDE and GNOME related packages, and install...
>
> HTH

  I appreciate the thought, but no, it doesn't.  I'm NOT having trouble
installing KDE all by myself, or Gnome either, for that matter.  I've
installed 7.2 dozens of times and 8.1 four or five.  The problem is the
way Mandrake 8.1 tries to take over the desktop.  With 7.2, in Gnome,
I could drag and drop icons from the menus to the desktop, a very nice
feature.  With 8.1 I can't.  When it loads I can see the blue background
screen, then my wallpaper covers it, then another blue screen covers
that, then my wallpaper again covers the whole mess, this time with the
Mandrake icons rather than the ones I'm used to.  And these icons can't
be changed, at least not by the methods I'm used to, nor can I drag and
drop from the menus.  I'm assuming, perhaps erroneously, that the
difference between this and the previous behavior is the Mandrake_Desk
package, which didn't exist in 7.2.  There are other aggravations, too,
but I'll spare you.

Regards,
Dale Huckeby