On Tuesday 11 June 2002 15:17, you wrote:

> Besides, what can't be said in plain text e-mail? Do you lack the
> necessary communication skills to use simple words? Did Tolkien
> write using fancy fonts and colours? My point is that HTML mail is
> simply unnecessary. Do you want /italics/, _underlining_ or *bold*
> fonts? Do you want a smiley face :-) ? It all can be done in plain
> text.

Plain text is all right as far as it goes, I don't mind using it for
say Newbie, or just sending an order to some sales person,
but 99% of the world traffic in emails is HTML. Yes it is. and I for
one would not like to have my hands tied behind my back by
not being able to use it. Suppose you had to email your curriculum
vitae to a prospective employer and you emailer cannot send HTML
your document looks silly and gives the imprssion you don't care.
It says you are not even prepared to take that little bit of extra
time and care to make a nice presentation, or that your emailer is
not much, and you ought to do something about it.

It is not only that, emails are the absolute front runner by far ,by
way of an adversiement for linux. Every day many emails get sent
around the world people receive and send in HTML but you can always
tell it came from a linux user it's plain text.      It doesn't say
much of a positive message does it. It doesn't say to the world ,
well here's and example of what I would like to aspire to. It portays
Linux users as second best, also runs, not up with the main streem.
Now you may want that, absolutely fine, that is your right, ahmen, I
for one would champion the right of the individual to do and be
whatever they want to be so long as it is not harmful to others as a
criminal would be, but most people will willingly accept that sending
and receiveing HTML is just fine. I would like that choice to be mine.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]