On Tuesday 11 June 2002 01:49 pm, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jun 2002 18:46:08 +0100, John Richard Smith
>
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 11 June 2002 15:17, you wrote:
> > > Besides, what can't be said in plain text e-mail? Do you lack the
> > > necessary communication skills to use simple words? Did Tolkien
> > > write using fancy fonts and colours? My point is that HTML mail is
> > > simply unnecessary. Do you want /italics/, _underlining_ or *bold*
> > > fonts? Do you want a smiley face :-) ? It all can be done in plain
> > > text.
> >
> > Plain text is all right as far as it goes, I don't mind using it for
> > say Newbie, or just sending an order to some sales person,
> > but 99% of the world traffic in emails is HTML. Yes it is.
>
> No, it isn't. Do yo have any statistics to back that? I'm willing to bet
> that your figures are off by a long shot.
>
> > and I for
> > one would not like to have my hands tied behind my back by
> > not being able to use it. Suppose you had to email your curriculum
> > vitae to a prospective employer and you emailer cannot send HTML
> > your document looks silly and gives the imprssion you don't care.
> > It says you are not even prepared to take that little bit of extra
> > time and care to make a nice presentation, or that your emailer is
> > not much, and you ought to do something about it.
>
> Make an attachment. It's not hard, and it's exactly the same as using the
> 'send in plain text and HTML' setting in some mail clients.
>
> > It is not only that, emails are the absolute front runner by far ,by
> > way of an adversiement for linux. Every day many emails get sent
> > around the world people receive and send in HTML but you can always
> > tell it came from a linux user it's plain text.
>
> Huh? I'm sorry, but I am increasingly getting the feeling that you are just
> making sweeping generalisations without having any real clue as to what
> you're talking about. Most mail clients, whether they be client or server
> (e.g. webmail) based, on Windows or another OS (GNU/Linux, Mac, BeOS,
> etc.), do _not_ allow the creation of HTML mail. Just because someone
> doesn't use Netscape or LookOut, it doesn't automatically mean they're
> using Linux. Your presumption is simply wrong.
>
> >      It doesn't say
> > much of a positive message does it. It doesn't say to the world ,
> > well here's and example of what I would like to aspire to. It portays
> > Linux users as second best, also runs, not up with the main streem.
> > Now you may want that, absolutely fine, that is your right, ahmen, I
> > for one would champion the right of the individual to do and be
> > whatever they want to be so long as it is not harmful to others as a
> > criminal would be, but most people will willingly accept that sending
> > and receiveing HTML is just fine. I would like that choice to be mine.
>
> Then go use Netscape -- it does what you need. Why are you complaining? If
> you want the "choice" to have e-mail virii execute automatically then you
> should also go back to Windows.

> [...]

Another point, John: If you really want to see something ugly, take a look at
an html e-mail with html disabled. You'll see that the message becomes
obscured by the format codes to the point of illegibility. It seems to me
that defeats the purpose of e-mail, which is to convey information in a clear
and easily understood fashion. (I used to have a few examples of those
around, but they seem to have been deleted.)
-- cmg