On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, John Richard Smith wrote:

> On Tuesday 11 June 2002 15:17, you wrote:
> >

> > Besides, what can't be said in plain text e-mail? Do you lack the
> > necessary communication skills to use simple words? Did Tolkien
> > write using fancy fonts and colours? My point is that HTML mail is
> > simply unnecessary. Do you want /italics/, _underlining_ or *bold*
> > fonts? Do you want a smiley face :-) ? It all can be done in plain
> > text.
>
> Plain text is all right as far as it goes, I don't mind using it for
> say Newbie, or just sending an order to some sales person,
> but 99% of the world traffic in emails is HTML. Yes it is. and I for
> one would not like to have my hands tied behind my back by
> not being able to use it. Suppose you had to email your curriculum
> vitae to a prospective employer and you emailer cannot send HTML
> your document looks silly and gives the imprssion you don't care.
> It says you are not even prepared to take that little bit of extra
> time and care to make a nice presentation, or that your emailer is
> not much, and you ought to do something about it.
>
> It is not only that, emails are the absolute front runner by far ,by
> way of an adversiement for linux. Every day many emails get sent
> around the world people receive and send in HTML but you can always
> tell it came from a linux user it's plain text.      It doesn't say
> much of a positive message does it. It doesn't say to the world ,
> well here's and example of what I would like to aspire to. It portays
> Linux users as second best, also runs, not up with the main streem.
> Now you may want that, absolutely fine, that is your right, ahmen, I
> for one would champion the right of the individual to do and be
> whatever they want to be so long as it is not harmful to others as a
> criminal would be, but most people will willingly accept that sending
> and receiveing HTML is just fine. I would like that choice to be mine.
>
> John

nothing personal here John, and I'm a firm believer in to each his own,
but HTML mail just plain sucks. it's the bane of sysadmins everywhere and
congress AND the global community at large should pass laws prohibiting
the use of it on all platforms.

do ya wanna communicate an idea or disseminate some information, just make
perrty pictures? (and yes...I spelled pretty that way on perpose. :P  )

--
Mark
a.k.a. daRcmaTTeR