I have worked with MCSE's on and off for about 5 years now, and why is it
that me, being a 23 year old has far greater knowledge with regards to
computers, network administration, implementation concepts, etc. etc. than
ANYONE I have ever worked with who holds the MCSE title?
I worked with this one guy, who was getting paid just over 2x the salary
that I was making who had no idea of what an IRQ is, why they are needed,
why most devices needed their own. He had spent nearly a week at a client's
site, billing that client for his time there, just to get a 3rd network card
installed onto an NT4.0 box, until that Friday, I visit the site to see if
he needed a hand. I offer my help, and his response was "what do you know?
"Youre just a kid". I neglected to answer that, and proceeded to change the
conflicting IRQ to one that was available. 3 minutes is what it took for me
to solve a problem that a guy with a $15000 "education" couldn't do in a
week. The bill worked out to a little over $3000 to the client for "a dumb
kid" to configure a NIC in 3 minutes... is this the kind of service that's
good for business?
His entire lifestyle (wage, ie new car, decent house etc.) was based upon a
title, not the product of his efforts. I'm sorry to all you out there that
ARE MCSE's... I'm sorry that you had to spend so much money to be mocked by
someone like me who can literally run circles around your knowledge of
computers (There ARE some who actually do know a lot about computers, but I
can guarantee that the knowledge you possess did not come from any of
Microsoft's training regimes). What do you do when windows doesn't start? Is
"re-install" the only solution there is? I ask those of you who ARE MCSE's
this: In a production environment, is it acceptable for a reboot to be
required on your server when you install an upgrade (aka. Service pack),
change an ip, or create/delete partitions on drives? Is uptime #1 on your
priority list? Is money for licensing costs an endless resource? What about
Security/privacy, would you like your server formatted one night because the
manufacturer of your product didn't worry about getting it right the first
time, and just said "let's release it, and we can fix it later with 54
hotfixes and service packs"? Do you like the fact that any sort of
"Customization" to the operating system itself will either get you sued or
imprisioned? Have you ever wondered WHY Microsoft OS'es have such a bad
reputation? If you ever actually use another OS, you will see what it is
that creates this opinion. Try it! And you wont even have to pay anything to
do so...
The problem here is that you have become cattle... follow what everyone else
wants, don't think for yourself, don't ask yourself what you will really
achieve, or how you will really benefit the company you work for. I have
been hired as part of the IT staff, and none of us have had ANY official
Microsoft training of any kind. In the interview I was asked what my
training level was. My response was "None, officially", then he asked if I
would like to get my MCSE in the future, and I said a lot of what's in this
post. Now I'm here.

Cory Grey
Coastal Pacific Xpress
www.cpx.ca