Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Jun 2002 23:06:29 -0600, Miark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Looking back, I can only bow my head in self-disgust. But
> > the lesson is a valuable one: Thinking that DOS/Win is
> > any more logical, intuitive, or superior than any other
> > OS is a mental prison.
> >
> > 'Course, when I figured this out, I bucked the whole
> > establishment, learning Linux and the Dvorak keyboard
> > layout :-)
> >
> > Miark
> >
> > P.S. Want added security on your workstation? Learn
> > the Dvorak layout. Nobody will be able to do squat
> > on your machine :-D
>
> I'm curious, is the Dvorak layout really any better than QWERTY? It sounds great
> in theory, but I don't know of anyone who can personally attest to that. Take a
> look at these articles:
>
>   http://home.earthlink.net/~dcrehr/whyqwert.html
>   http://wwwpub.utdallas.edu/~liebowit/keys1.html
>
> They seem to be of the opinion that the Dvorak layout isn't necessary, and is
> perhaps even flawed. I've been thinking of trying Dvorak out for some time, but
> these two articles have made me think again.
>
> --
> Sridhar Dhanapalan

If I may say:

I'm a professionally trained touch typist.  If it makes Any difference
to you heres a bit of info for your trivia brain.

Qwerty keybaords setup was created on purpose to make sure typists COULD
NOT reach speeds exceeding 75-85 WPM *words per minute*.  Seems
counter-intuitive doesn't it?

Well heres teh rub:  Back in the early 1910's or 20's, typewriters were
made with *GASP!* real metal keys that hit *GASP* Paper! *shock faints*
;)

As a result, if you went faster than 75 wpm you got the keys stuck to
one another...which of course ruined those darned expensive
contraptions!

So...the QWERTY keyboard layout was born.  Until then, keys were laid
out haphazardly across. With each different model a different Key layout
was around.  Some genius got the bright idea to use the Qwerty Method
after seeing a similar method in Europe * I believe * used on their
typewriters.  Thus the trend was born, & Underwood Typewriters made the
first QWERTY keyboards availabe in the US.

Of course, Qwerty is also well known to give you RSI as well as slow you
down effectively by about 20-30 WPM.  :)

So... now ya know... And as for Dvorak, I have no clue if its faster.
My secretarial teacher said Yes it is faster & less RSI involved...
don't remember why tho...nor am I certain of that info.

--
Femme

Good Decisions You boss Made:

"We'll do as you suggest and go with Linux.  I've always liked that
character from Peanuts."

- Source: Dilbert