> I used to think as you do, and back then GNU/Linux made no sense at all to me.
> Today, I look back at the DOS/Windows systems I used to use and they all seem
> haphazard and illogical.

10 or more years in my DOS Dupe days, I had a friend teach
me by e-mail the joys of FTP. FTP sites ran on Unix, of
course, and that was my only exposure to anything non-DOS at
the time. Anyway, to get a directory listing of everything
available, this friend told me (again, by e-mail) to use
"ls-lR". This is what the Dupe saw: it used "ls" instead of
"dir", it used a dash instead of a slash,  and the
capitalization mattered! I can not tell you how foreign this
one stupid, itty-bitty command was to me. I could not come
to grips with something so different, so I didn't even _try_
it!! I continued to "dir" through directories manually.

Looking back, I can only bow my head in self-disgust. But
the lesson is a valuable one: Thinking that DOS/Win is
any more logical, intuitive, or superior than any other
OS is a mental prison.

'Course, when I figured this out, I bucked the whole
establishment, learning Linux and the Dvorak keyboard
layout :-)

Miark

P.S. Want added security on your workstation? Learn
the Dvorak layout. Nobody will be able to do squat
on your machine :-D