> On Wed, 2002-06-12 at 18:33, Cory wrote:

{...snip...}

> > (There ARE some who actually do know a lot about computers, but I
> > can guarantee that the knowledge you possess did not come from any of
> > Microsoft's training regimes).

You got that right!  I wasted $9,000 for my MCSE course.  What a joke.  I'm
so glad my boss picked up the student loan payments.  If I ever get around
to upgrading from NT 4.0 cert to 2k, I'll do it on my own time instead of
paying an instructor to get instruction from me.  The school had a PC setup
with Win2k that had 3 NIC cards acting as a router for the 2 classrooms.
They couldn't figure out how to get internet access using that setup!  It
took me all of 5 minutes to get things configured so I could browse the
internet from my desk.  After that, any time the instructor couldn't answer
a question, he'd ask me.  Either I already knew the answer or could find it
quickly on the net.

Just about all of my training was done on my own time.  I've been
programming since age 8, starting with the TI99/4a and moving thru TRS-80,
Apple II (YUK!) and finally PC's starting at age 15.  The ONLY reason I
wanted to get my MCSE was so I'd have something to show an employer.  How in
the world did you find someone that would hire you based on unofficial
training?  I searched from age 15 to age 22 and finally found my current
employer, which isn't really in the computer field.  I work for an HVAC
system installer as tech support, IT, software development, instructor, etc.
Not exactly my choice of work, but every resume I've sent in gets rejected
because of no formal training.

Lastly, one thing I really regret was never being exposed to Linux as a
child.  My parents bought a PC based on what friends suggested (MSDOS 3.3 &
Windows 3.1).  So, I grew up on M$.  Later, my exposure to *nix OS's was
very difficult.  Now I look back and wish I would've gotten in on Linux much
earlier.  I'm slowly making the transition.  I've got a XP machine for
e-mail, games, TV, music, etc.  And, a Mandrake machine for my website,
e-mail server & general Linux learning.  Last week I got into Linux on my
iPAQ.  That's pretty cool.  Unlike desktop Windows vs Windows CE, Linux is
the same on the handheld and the desktop.