On Thursday 13 June 2002 3:31 pm, Linux Maniac wrote:

> I wonder what you'd like to implemented in the 9.0 release. My
> wishlist is in short:
>
> - a script for installing the nvidia drivers OR a deal with nvidia to
> provide them preinstalled in MDK 9.0
> - Hungarian spell checkers
> - Opera 6.x
> - Mldonkey
> - Latest gtk-gnutella
> - Themable graphical boot
> - More KDE/Gnome themes
> - Support for Mustek ScanMagic 1200 (paralell)
> - Mozilla 1.1
> - Mplayer
> - An advanced control center with more advanced options
> - winex and crossover office
> - preinstalled flash plugin
> - Maybe a gamer's extension 4th CD so on the first 3 CD there would
> be only serious programs and the games of kde/gnome
> - A more discrete and professional Mandrake look (icons, bootup,
> etc.) -Maybe a change of logo?

Things are generally very impressive, but there are a few annoying
glitches that could be fixed fairly easily:

- - 'obvious' firewalling with something like Guarddog (the current
security level method is not obvious enough; it's hard to see the
firewall doing its stuff, hence unclear that it's actually working);

- - the user interface of the Mandrake-specific applications improved,
particularly font importing (I regret to say this, but the profusion of
buttons there is just awful);

- - the ghastly and broken decorative fonts removed (the Adobe, URW and
B&H ones are quite enough to be going on with as most people will
import Microsoft fonts);

- - support for both greyscale and subpixel anti-aliasing (with a flat
panel having to edit /etc/X11/Xftconfig on reinstall to add one line is
irritating);

- - the Mosfet Liquid theme compiled in as standard (one less job to do,
and I'd imagine most KDE users have it installed by now);

- - some solution for the Alcatel Speedtouch USB driver problem (getting
the proprietary mgmt.o microcode file by hook or by crook as, without
it, the Mandrake installation _can never work_ out of the box);

- - KDE applications added to fill in gaps currently occupied by Gnome
applications only (eg k3b for CD-R and CD-RW, kbear for FTP, kile for
LaTeX editing if emTeX is installed), thus enabling 'clean' KDE without
Gnome installations.

Alastair
- --
Alastair Scott (London, United Kingdom)