Did you su to root before running this command?

apachectl is something you need to be root to run.  Thus it's been put
in one of the various sbins on the machine.

Unless you edit the $PATH for that user, it won't even see applications
in /sbin, /usr/sbin, or /usr/local/sbin.

You can't telnet into a server as root.  So maybe you forgot to grant
yourself root access before running this command.  That's what first
comes to my mind.  Let us know.
tdh

 T. Holmes  |  UNIXTECHS.org  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  UIN:  17021091