Marcia wrote:

>On Wednesday 19 June 2002 02:12 pm, you wrote:
>
>>Note also that Walmart is now selling Microtel computers, either with no
>>operating system or with Lindows preinstalled.  With Lindows
>>preinstalled, the first three price points are $299, $499, ahd $599,
>>IIRC.  The $299 machine doesn't look bad for the price.
>>

>Dear All,
>
>Thank you all for your help. I have been checking out Walmart and they have
>some good deals it appears. Also, I finally found a source that may have what
>I am looking for. They use either Microstar, ECS, and DFI motherboards.  Does
>anyone have an experience with LM 8.2 and any of these motherboards? They all
>have integrated sound, lan, and video for the one I put together. I came up
>with a price without monitor of 537.17.  This does not include shipping. I
>thought the specs were good with 512 sdram  memory, 60 gig hard drive, altec
>lansing speakers, Athlon XP Palomino 1600+, upgraded cooling for cpu, and
>case has 2 USB ports in front which I prefer personally, etc. Has anyone have
>any thoughts about this? The web page is www.mgepc.com/.  I already looked at
>the motherboard comments from the Linux Hardware Database and some had
>problems with the sound but it seemed that there were many others who had
>everything working especially if I remember correctly if they were using LM
>8.2. I may be confused with Microstar with this but both Motherboards seemed
>to have good ratings with Linux people. Any suggestions will be greatly
>appreciated.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Marcia

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

Actually, the ECS K7S5A which is advertised on that page works as well
with just a sound tweak, and was once rated highly by Tom's hardware and
Anand's sites.  ECS is a PCChips brand, but that is one where the blind
hog did seem to find the acorn.

Microstar sometimes works, but watch out for the Chipset.  Right now
anything based on the ALi Magic or KT266A is likely to be no bargain
(for-real broken clocks).

Civileme