> Again thanks for all of the suggestions. Below are the specs on a computer
> that I am considering. Would Linux-Mandrake 8.2 work on this machine? I may

Next time, don't cut and paste the whole ad. Otherwise your message is
looking like someone spammed the list.

I imagine Mandrake would work OK with such a system. But personally I
shy away with 'branded' computers - isn't there a way you can upgrade
the system you have, just get the components you need, and then install
on that? HPs a respected brand but I wouldn't buy a P4 system from any-
one - the processor is just too da*n crippled and too expensive. AMD is
far better choice. And you probably have some good HD space left, but if
not, you can save your orig drive(s) and move them into a new home.

>     * IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 1.60GHz Processor
>     * 512MB Memory
>     * 80GB Hard Drive
>     * 16x8x40x CDRW
>     * 16x DVD
>     * 3.5" 1.44MB Floppy Drive
>     * nVidia TNT2 M64 32MB AGP graphics card

Note that apart from the video card, nothing is said about the makers
of the individual components.

>     * 10/100 NIC
>     * 56K Modem
>     * Windows XP Home

And you already have a NIC and modem, no doubt. Why buy another one --
unless of course you have to move to a new system that doesn't have any
legacy slots. I did that :( with the ASUS board I got. But then I don't
need an ISA modem when I have DSL :)

And you don't need Windows :) but of course they throw it in as part of
the price. Only way to get around that is to just buy the individual
components. (Although I've seen Maxtor hard drive OEMs that say
"requires Microsoft Windows" on them, they format etc just fine in
Linux.) :)