---------------------------------
[37] Vote -  Greatest All Time Player - For Sexagenerian Reds Only!
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, April 27, 2001 by redend:
Greatest All Time Player - For Sexagenerian (we mean over 60 years old so just leave
it alright)Reds Only.

The excellent (link:http://www.manchester.com/) Virtual Manchester are running the
following poll:

Once and for all - Who is the greatest United player of all time?

If the average age of the 67,000 supporters who visit the Theatre of Dreams every
other Saturday is about 40, then very few can claim to have seen the legendary Duncan
Edwards grace the Old Trafford stage, or even claim to have seen George Best in his
pomp (they'd be about 7 years old when United first won the European Cup in 1968). So
it seems a little strange that Eric Cantona - magnificent player that he was - has
been voted as the greatest ever of all time to have played in the red shirt of
Manchester United.

Before it is too late we are trying to contact all Manchester United supporters who
are over the age of 60 and who have been around long enough to have seen both the
1957/8 team and the 1968 team,  AS WELL AS the 1994 team (which Sir Alex still
believes to be the strongest team he has ever managed) and the 1999 team play on a
regular basis...this is a tall order as there are probably only about 1000 of you left
to tell the story!

But, for the benefit of the rest of us who never got to see the Duncan Edwards of this
world (or even George Best in most cases), that's exactly what we'd like you to do...

To put the record straight once and for all - before it's too late - on just who is
the greatest player ever to have played for MUFC.

For the records, this e-mail will also be sent to George Best and to Eric Cantona to
ask for their votes (not allowed to vote for themselves).

This e-mail will also be sent to the senior sports editors of all UK national
newspapers, asking them and their predecessors for their votes.

So, if you are over 60 and have been lucky enough to actually see all the great United
players over the years please take the trouble to respond to this e-mail.
We'd like to put the argument over the best United player of all time to bed once and
for all and we need your help to achieve this.

You will need to do so on the web using the form at:
http://www.rednews.co.uk/vmpoll.html

---------------------------------
[36] Ruud V N is a Red
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, April 27, 2001 by bar-knee:
"When I was young, I always had a roomful of Manchester United posters. It is not only
one game, it is the image of the club. Winning so much attracts players. There was no
choice. This is perfect for me."

"Fergie came to visit me in Eindhoven 10 days after the injury. We spoke about the
players who had recovered from the same injury and how I should have my
rehabilitation. When you have support from people, it gives you a good feeling. Every
player who gets the chance to play for one of the best teams in the world will make
progress and I expect to do that."

---------------------------------
[35] Fergie heard of Ruud through Darren
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, April 27, 2001 by bar-knee:
"We were told about Ruud when he was very young. The first real awareness was when my
son went to watch Heerenveen and told me to 'sign him right away'. I said we had to at
least have a look at him, so on the Saturday we sent someone to the game and PSV
signed him - we were too slow. He is here now and that is the most important thing.

His pace is good, his understanding of the game is good and he scores, which is very
important for a striker. It is good when you see strikers scoring a variety of goals.
A few years ago someone sent me a video of Dion Dublin. I was really surprised at the
variety of goals he scored. That is why we signed him. Ruud gives us something we
haven't had and at 24 he is going to improve and develop.

When you see someone emerging with that potential, you are just putting something in
the bank. If anything he will be stronger and better now. You cannot ignore potential.
I am only doing what I think is right for the future."