---------------------------------
[31] Reds return to Premiership
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 3, 2001 by bar-knee:
John Curtis - saying "I'm looking forward to returning to Old Trafford, it'll be nice
- to be fair I didn't get much of an opportunity to play there" - Sparky, Henning Berg
and Keith Gillespie helped seal promotion for Blackburn last night to the Premiership.
Oh well, at least it's a good atmosphere and ticket allocation.

---------------------------------
[30] I want the poisoned chalice. No I want it.
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 3, 2001 by bar-knee:
Jeff Whitley

"I have been at this club since I was a young kid and nothing would
give me more pleasure than to skipper the side one day. I would
love to captain the side one day and help drive it forward. To do
that and to win things would be a fantastic feeling and I can't think
of a better achievement."

Sorry - pissing ourselves here - did he seriously say 'win things'.

---------------------------------
[29] Phil Neville speaks
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 3, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Watching the game against Manchester City, it was clear to everyone
that we didn't play well. I believe this was the aftermath from the
disappointment we'd suffered midweek against Bayern Munich. The most
disappointing fact for the players and supporters was there was no
enjoyment in our play, which the boss always stresses has to be in
our game for us to play well.

Saturday against Middlesbrough had to be a turning point for us and
we were told to go out, relax and enjoy being Premiership Champions
and 14 points clear in the table.

Our performance on Saturday was excellent and I enjoyed it more than
anyone else because I scored my first goal for the club this season.
Scoring a goal is a rarity for me, but it always makes a match that
little bit more special.

I was the butt of all the jokes in the dressing room afterwards;
Teddy Sheringham questioned whether I was actually crossing the ball
or shooting. Another player who had a special day on Saturday was
Michael Stewart, who made his first-team debut. The lad has got a big
future and all he needs to do now is keep his feet on the ground and
work as hard as he can.

On Sunday evening I attended the PFA Footballer of the Year Award in
London where Teddy received the Player of the Year Award. It's no
more than Teddy deserves after the season he has had and I hope we
see him in a United strip next year. He is a popular person in the
dressing room and his experience will be vital next year."

---------------------------------
[28] Keano to miss start of season
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 3, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From official site

'Manchester United have confirmed that Roy Keane will miss the start of next season.
The FA have suspended him for four matches, starting with this Saturday's game against
Derby County and ending with the first competitive fixture of the 2001/02 campaign.
Roy will be eligible to play in the Charity Shield, despite the fact his red card in
last August's game contributed to this new punishment.'

A Charity Shield, in Wales, possibly against the Scousers.

---------------------------------
[27] More from Gary Nev
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 3, 2001 by bar-knee:
"The Premiership is the most important thing in the world along with
the European Cup. We don't want any regrets, you don't want to turn
around in years to come and say I wish I had celebrated that more. These moments might
never come along again. Who is to say this
isn't the last championship for a while. Of course, we aim to keep  winning it but
who's to say it won't end tomorrow, you just never
know in football. Just because we have won it seven times in nine
years doesn't mean we should be complacent about celebrating it.

There is no doubt in my mind what we have achieved this year will
only really be recognised in 10-15 years time but we can't afford to
let the celebrations be muted. If other teams see that it looks like
we are not bothered then they might think they've got a chance. It is so important to
us and you'll see us celebrate after the
Derby County match like it was our first championship."

Well said Gary - let's give it one Saturday.

---------------------------------
[26] Gary Nev - let's enjoy Saturday
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 3, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I think you will see on Saturday when we have our celebrations just  how much the
championship does actually mean to us despite what the critics are saying. The
devastation of losing in Europe did take some of the initial  gloss off losing the
title. But we always recognise
as a bunch of players what it does mean to us.

On Saturday, everybody at Manchester United from player, staff to  fan has got to show
what it means to win the championship. If another  team had won the title they would
have been doing cartwheels and  having carnivals around the city for five days. People
are saying it doesn't mean anything to United anymore  because we've won it seven
times in the last nine years, well we have  got to show just what it does mean and put
on a show. The fans should  be singing 'Champions' for every single minute of the game
and let  everybody know that we do appreciate it."

---------------------------------
[25] Viduka stay home
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 3, 2001 by bar-knee:
As Real realise how average he is after watching him last night.

Real coach Vicente del Bosque told onefootball.com. ""Mark Viduka disappointed me in
this match. I remembered when he played against us in the Santiago Bernabeu, he was
almost a perfect striker. But since then, I think he has become worse and worse as the
season has gone on. For this match he did not seem very focussed and nor did Alan
Smith."

---------------------------------
[24] QPR & Wimbledon to merge
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 3, 2001 by bar-knee:
Hopefully the supporters' will stop this idea by typical clueless PLC men.

Wimbledon chairman:

"We have been approached by QPR. There were some initial exploratory discussions some
weeks ago. No agreement to merge Wimbledon with QPR has been reached. While
discussions regarding the idea of a possible merger have taken place, we realise that
no agreement could ever be reached without consulting our supporters first. If the
fans felt that this was not the best thing, we would re-evaluate and move along a
different route.

Clearly we are all upset about the story in the Sun. I strongly believe and maintained
throughout the discussions that an issue like this must be discussed with supporters
before appearing in the media.  We are committed to exploring all available options
for strengthening the club on and off the pitch. We continue to work extremely hard to
find a proper home ground for the future." "

Libby Magrill, spokeswoman for QPR 1st, the Queens Park Rangers Supporters Trust,
said: "Historically, QPR fans will not support a merger with any other Football League
club. Proposed mergers with Brentford in 1967 and Fulham in 1987 were successfully
opposed by the fans, and any move to merge QPR with Wimbledon this year, or at any
stage in the future, will be opposed by every possible means. QPR fans will fight to
retain the identity of our club. We know that
Wimbledon fans will do the same."

---------------------------------
[23] Sun story on Becks
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 3, 2001 by bar-knee:
Not only haircut latest (yawn) but headline of 'Becks' Nazi shirt shock' as he worse a
shirt sent to him by a fan in the USA - unwittingly wearing something that had an
image of SS 'killer' Adolf Eichmann. When pointed this out Becks took it off and a
spokesman said: "David was sent this by a fan in America. He liked the design and
that's why he wore it. He had no idea the print had connections with Nazi war
criminals. There is no way he would have worn something like this if he had recognised
the picture".

---------------------------------
[22] Ken Bates his usual uncontroversial self
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 3, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova

'Ken Bates claims Sports Minister Kate Hoey should have been "shot" for undermining
the Wembley National Stadium project. Former Wembley National Stadium Ltd chairman
Bates, who was replaced by Sir Rodney Walker at the behest of Football Association
chief executive Adam Crozier and later resigned from the board altogether, said it was
Hoey who was responsible for removing athletics from the new stadium.

The Chelsea supremo also blamed Prime Minister Tony Blair and Culture Secretary Chris
Smith for not acting to silence her.

"The financing was undermined by people who had nothing to do with the project," Bates
said.'

---------------------------------
[21] More on Eric in Boli's testimonial
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 3, 2001 by bar-knee:
Zidane playing too apparently.

Thanks to J for translation.

'A number of stars are expected at Bollaert, for the ex-Lens player Roger Boli's
testimonial. Ex-Lens players will take part. Stade Bollaert's afficionados will
witness the return of : Dacourt, DÉhu, El Haddaoui, Lama, Meyrieu, Omam-Biyik, Slater,
and Vairelles...
Some internationals have also accepted Boli's invitation : T. Henry, P. Vieira
(oohh-oohh), S. Wiltord, R. Pires, N. Anelka (who ?), C. Dugarry, and M. Desailly.

Old glories will complete this constellation of stars : JPP (J.-P. Papin)
and................................................. ERIC 7.

Ginola, Marco Simone, G. Weah, Basile Boli, and Sonny Anderson (the OL
supastar), will also feature in this festive match. (Which will ref'd by former ref :
funky Robert Wurtz.)'

---------------------------------
[20] More on Thai tickets sewn up
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 3, 2001 by bar-knee:
Snippet from Soccer Investor today:

A source close to the organisers of Manchester United's game with the Thai national
side later this month has told Reuters that of the 60,000 available tickets, two
sponsors have taken over half. 'PepsiCo Inc have around 10,000 tickets and Advanced
Info Service (AIS) [a Thai mobile phone operator] have more than 20,000 tickets,' the
source said. Siemens and GSM are also sponsoring the event.

---------------------------------
[19] Bobby Charlton on Wembkey
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 3, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I'm watching what's happening and it's all a bit distressing really. We've been
trying to get people to come to this country because we're going to have a new
Wembley, which will be something to be proud of, and now we can't do that. I had been
excited about the whole thing and suddenly it's gone.

It's distressing to see the indecision that seems to have been around and hopefully
people will get together and sort it out. I don't want to get into who's to blame
because there's so much to be done now and I don't think that's helpful. We've got the
FA who have work to do and we've got the Government who have work to do and all the
finances have to be put together.

I certainly think we need a national stadium. Where they put it will be decided later,
but we definitely need one. The stadia which we have got are just not big enough and a
national stadium needs to hold 80-90,000 people. I just hope the whole thing can be
sorted out."

---------------------------------
[18] FA say stop fighting
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 3, 2001 by bar-knee:
Football Association chief executive Adam Crozier:

"Everyone suddenly wants to blame everyone else, and the fact is everybody has to
shoulder some of the blame. The most important thing now is for everyone to stop
slagging each other off and actually focus on trying to find a solution to this,
because searching for scapegoats is a complete waste of time. What should happen next
is all the posturing should drop away because frankly it's a total waste of time, and
the different groups - ourselves, Wembley and Government under Jack (Straw) need to
just get together.

There's a lot of work gone on into every possible route that could be undertaken, and
the truth is it has to work first of all for the fans and secondly it has to be
affordable. No one would thank the Football Association if we built something and then
proceeded to ruin the whole game of football because we couldn't afford it. I think we
have done the right and proper and professional thing of calling a halt before all
that money is wasted."

The FA is a not-for-profit organization - all of our money goes back into the game.
And at the same time the Government is saying to us 'we want you to transform the
grass-roots game, we want you to buy back the pitches, get them in proper condition,
get the changing rooms right, provide good facilities for kids across the country' -
that takes a phenomenal amount of money.

Equally they know that Premier League and Football League clubs are separate
businesses, many of them are plcs, and there is no way that separate plcs will give
money to Wembley because there is nothing in it for them. The one thing the national
stadiums in Italy, Germany, the Sydney Olympic in Australia, the Stade de France and
the new stadium in Ireland have in common is that they are all 100% funded by the
Government. That's with very good reason, because with national stadiums it is very
hard to get them to make economic sense as you don't have a lot of events."

I would not be doing my job properly and professionally if I recommended ploughing all
the FA's money into that, because quite frankly if our income were to go down in a few
years' time - let's say television revenue dropped - we would be bankrupt. You'd then
have a situation where banks would be telling us what to do - they'd be saying ticket
prices up, charge this, charge that - and we would have no say in the matter. That's
not something anyone could contemplate.

Wembley is special for football fans right across the country so we're very aware of
the need to get this right. There are lots of different ways that it could be made to
work and we really need to focus on those. We would like to sit down with Jack Straw
as early as possible, we've already spoken and hopefully we'll be sitting down next
week, and we're very keen to get a solution as quickly as possible."

---------------------------------
[17] Eric is now...
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 3, 2001 by bar-knee:
in Dubai for the latest beach football tournament. Reports to come when games start.

---------------------------------
[16] Quotes from the past
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 3, 2001 by bar-knee:
"The centre of power in Manchester has moved to Manchester United. It's normal and you
have to accept it as part of history"

Bert Trautmann

---------------------------------
[15] Quotes from the past
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 3, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I suppose we will just have to get used to Barthez's eccentricities at times"

Fergie when signing the French hero

---------------------------------
[14] More on Wembley cock-up
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 3, 2001 by bar-knee:
And if France and Sydney can build those class stadiums for £260m why not Wembley in a
ground that is already there - and why knock it down when they haven't got the new
plans sorted. Typical FA...

Full statement from Wembley National Stadium Limited:

"The board of WNSL met today to consider the position of the company in the light of
the FA's announcement on funding yesterday. The board agrees with and understands the
FA's position. It also notes that, despite erroneous press suggestions, the FA's
financial support for the project remains in place but cannot be increased.

WNSL will therefore scale back its operation at Wembley during the period of the
review of the national stadium project being undertaken by the Home Secretary Jack
Straw. The FA have already assured the Home Secretary that it will play an active and
positive role in the work of the group. WNSL will retain the capacity to provide
technical support for the group. "

Free copies to Vas ov www.m-u-f-c.co.uk & Barney ov www.rednews.co.uk

INGREDIENTS - IDEAL ID / GREAT PRESSIE IDEA / MODERN (F)ART / WHAT KIDS HAVE NOW THAT
WE NEVER HAD /  FISHING IN THE RIVERS OF LIFE / BLIMEY - I'LL GO TO THE FOOT OF OUR
STAIRS / GOOD LUCK TO LEEDS IN EUROPE he he

This Barm is dedicated all those clowns out there how have their initials on the back
on their car.... what the hell is all that about then ? Oh and those people with a GB
sticker or a sticker with a country's flag on - come on cut it out. Also, those
Christian types that have a "fish" symbol on the back of their vehicle..... come on
get a grip!!.... before you know it you'll be wearing Sidney the Kidney badges.
Nooooooooooo! While I am at it ...."Baby On Board" signs ....why ? I mean does anyone
drive slower because of these ? .... of course they don't! If fact if you love pan
lids like me
you are more inclined to speed up to sneak a peak at the little fella or fellow-et and
whisper "come on - give us a smiiiiiile" through the window and cause a bloody pile
up. Anyway.

IDEAL ID
We have got these new type ID tags at work - now some people find them a nuisance but
I don't. You see the ID cards are on a lace type thing that you put round your Gregory
Peck..... so if you are bored you can have a game of conkers and try wrecking your
mates card. Also the actual ID card bit (with a sh@t photo of you falsely smiling)
slips out ... ideal for a game of "nearest to the wall" card flicking type game. Also,
as a lot of staff leave these cards lying about you could start collecting em like you
did with old football cards (not that I am encouraging theft here!) You could also get
multiples so you could swap with your mates - just picture it at brew time "got","not
got", "got", "got", "not got"- . Ace eh....better than Top Trumps any day - who said
employee security could not be fun eh?

GREAT PRESSIE IDEA
(this is a true story - I am not taking the smelly yellow stuff!)
Well things may have been quiet for the Royle Family recently - but not for much
longer!! Yes, the Jim Royle doll is about go on sale - and the best thing is.... he
speaks!! Uttering catchphrases such as "make us a brew barb" and "my arse" the doll is
£12.99. Jim sits in his trademark clothes and you can have him in your own home!!
Several radio 1 shows are giving them away at the moment - so listen out.

MODERN (F)ART
I was watching a programme the other night called "Faking It" ... and no it was nowt
to no with me and women! Anyway - some guy was given the task of conning some Art
critics into believing that he was in fact an Artist. Well this guy gets dressed up
all poncy-like and learns how to talk bollox and bob's your uncle....they fell for it
- excellent. The best bit was the guy was from the humour capital of the world
Liverpool... and this critic says to him "well you do have confidence cos all you
scousers are the same - all cocky b@stards"..... class eh. Anyway, I cant wait for the
next one on May 8th (C4 I think) - they get a public school boy from the country and
send him to London to become a night club Bouncer. .... It looks like a good un to me.

WHAT KIDS HAVE NOW THAT WE NEVER HAD (Que Hovis Music)
No-added suger drinks, kids parties every other soddin week, cheese string, DVD,
Mobile phones,  millions of easter eggs, roller blades, May Day riots, ball pools,
stuppid american sports Altogether now ..... poor sods! They are welcome to it all.

FISHING IN THE RIVERS OF LIFE
The other week our little George got bought 2 Gold fish for his birthday. We'll as is
usually the case one of em died within about three days. Anyway we didn't have the
heart to tell him that "Emily" had died and gone up to the great plastic bowl in the
sky(well actually flushed down the bog). So we told him the next day that "Emily had
had to be taken back to the shop so the people there could check she was okay"(clever
eh!). So our George trots in the shop with his mum to "pick up Emily" - looks for a
smallish looking Gold fish and picks out Emily straight away - no problemo.   If only
life was like that eh - if only!
(Jesus - that bit was a bit serious wasnt it)

BLIMEY - I'LL GO TO THE FOOT OF OUR STAIRS

WOW - The things you didn't know...you didn't know ....
"Last year tourism chiefs in Liverpool were banned from putting up motorway signs
saying 'Liverpool, the Birthplace Of The Beatles', because the Highways Agency thought
the signs would distract motorists.  Fancy that eh... scousers going on about The
Beatles - makes a change.
And Finaly.......
GOOD LUCK TO LEEDS IN EUROPE ......
Re-worked Chubby Brown - back by popular demand ! The tune is "Dolly
Parton's t-ts"
        I'd love to see Batty win a fight just for once,
        Scary Spice's minge get nits!
        I'd love to see Woodgate roasted by his b-llocks,
        But most of all Leeds Euro Dream in bits!
        Cos they're the biggest bunch of scum,
        And their defeat is gonna come,
        Their failure will go down great in history,
        There's a lump inside my throat,
        Just thinking of how I'll gloat,
        You just know this is the way its gonna be!
        I'd love to see them lose in the final,
        And Lee Bowyer on a spit,
        Cant wait for the Court re-trial,
        And I wanna get O'Leary to babysit,
        I'd love to see them tw-ts f-ck up,
        And Elland Road set alight,
        But most of all - I'd just love it me,
        To see Alan Smith take Eric on in a fight,
        Cos they're the biggest buch off scum,
        And their defeat is gonna come,
        Their failure will go down great in history,
        There's a lump inside my throat,
        Just thinking of how I'll gloat,
        You just know this is the way its gonna be!

And that really is it.. cos I really cant be arsed with anymore retro stuff - so I am
gonna clear off and put me feet up and tuck into a packet of Tudor Crisps and a bottle
of Corona!

Tip of the week - never ask a girl if she wants to try 7UP.... stick to lemonade... or
you could end up with a slapped boat race.

Tunes of the week are - a couple of Andy Goram's favourites -
John lennon's "Mind Games" and "Just the two of us" by (I think) Will Smith.

Web site of the week is......
        Hear me now! Dis is Netscape's incredible Ali-G translator, da
fittest translation program of da minnenium. It's wicked, man. Try it
yourselves and check wot we mean. It's wicked. Bo! Simply rip da sentence in ingleesh
into da box, and weez will magically translate it into Ali-G speek for yous.
        Big ups and maximum respects go out to David McNamara who created
dis.
(link:http://www.netscapeonline.co.uk/entertainment/alig/default.htm?cp=iukhenpr3)
http://www.netscapeonline.co.uk/entertainment/alig/default.htm?cp=iukhenpr3

Anyway - thats me stuffed - wheres them Rennies gone ? (oh and always read the label)

Que the credits.

Like Paul Weller says in A Town Called Malice "I could go on for hours and I probably
will but" Defoe - laters.

---------------------------------
[12] The Goat on get that Dickov off
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 3, 2001 by bar-knee:
"When we played United the other week, and before we even knew the  team, I said to
Paul that he had to start at Old Trafford. You watch him in training and in games and
you just know he will  lead the team in terms of tenacity and getting at the
opposition and  not allowing them to play. We need that as part of our make-up."

7 points out of 9 and suddenly city are giving it large, in true 'this will blow up in
their faces' manner...

---------------------------------
[11] And Twatto said...
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 3, 2001 by bar-knee:
Danny Tiatto:

"We're all very  confident and have the belief that we can do it. Hopefully the other
results will go for us. We've got to go out there and score a few  goals and come away
with the win. There are no special plans, we're  just going for the goals and the
points that we'll need.

I definitely did not expect the team to be in this position when we
started the campaign. I thought we'd be in mid-table but it didn't
work out that way.

If the unthinkable happens and we do go down, I think the club will
be in good shape to bounce straight back up. We've got a good bunch
of players and I think everyone will stay. We can come back to the
Premiership even stronger and stay up instead of going down again.
It will be important to get in more quality players whether we stay up or go down."

So they're about to go down but already up again!

---------------------------------
[10] O'Dreary is off again
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 3, 2001 by bar-knee:
"But I do believe that on our day we are a side who can score an away goal and it's
amazing how an away goal can change everything. I'm a great believer in fate. God is
good in many ways so you never know, we might have a great night in Valencia."

Now it's his young God?

---------------------------------
[9] Get your new Red News out on Saturday...please!
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 3, 2001 by bar-knee:
Issue 77, is a new issue out on Saturday. It is a one off game to buy Red News - so
we'd like to appeal to all our regular readers to get their copy before the game as
our print run is low as it's just for the Derby game.

It's a £2 bumper edition -

it'll take you the whole summer to read, trust us.

Let's just give you a sneak preview

Rotterdam memories

The day the Dog pulled its last pint

A look back at this season
Bayern drunken reports

An exclusive look at the ridiculous policy to reduce Utd's ticket allocations - and
exclusive quotes

What it was like daytripping to OT from Ireland in the 70s as a kid

Exclusive gossip - just which Utd 'person' had a loud mouth after the city game and
was saying things out of turn + what Eric's first words to Ole were when he joined

Moments of the season (they're all in there!)

Why T.McDonald hates every single club in the land

An in-depth look at the Keano 'debate'

Tony Smith's thoughts on the season

Boylie's magic Dog moment

A report on the PLC

A Dutch man writes on Ruud
and much, much more!

so make sure you get your new Red News on Saturday.

(If you would like to oder a copy through the post, get in touch with us at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]).

---------------------------------
[8] More from Johnsen
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 3, 2001 by bar-knee:
"My main concern is to stay injury free and enjoy my football again. I haven't been
pain free in my knees since just after the summer  of `98. It's no fun when you are
playing in some agony. Training and playing recently is the first time I have worked
without pain for three years and I am enjoying my football so much  again.

I have to prove to myself that I can get back to where I know I can  be. I don't have
to worry about what others are saying. I can only get back to that by playing games
and have a long run  without any stoppages. That's what I want. When you have had
career threatening injuries like I have had you  don't worry about what people are
saying about you, you just want to  get back to playing again. Playing football is all
you think about.

And that is all I will be concentrating on from now on be it in the
final few matches of the season if I am selected, during the summer
in Norway and back here at United in pre-season. To be enjoying my
football again has given me a new lease of life. I want to forget
about the past and just look forward."

---------------------------------
[7] Ronnie Johnsen on getting fit
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 3, 2001 by bar-knee:
"My main focus next season is getting back to a level of playing
consistency that I haven't had for a long, long time. `That's what I really want above
anything else. It would be nice to  get a medal because you feel more a part of things
but the main thing  for me is to get a few more games in before the end of the season.

It will give me a boost and a bit of a platform for next season.
Playing in the matches is more vital for that than to qualify for a
medal. I will also be doing some training and work-outs with my local club  back in
Norway during the summer break. I played for Eik Tonsberg in my teens and I will be
keeping fit  with them. They have just started the season back home in the Second
Division after being relegated from the First.

I always like to do some work with my old friends. I won't be  making any guest
appearances though! The season in England is ending  too soon for me -obviously - but
I just need to keep myself ticking  over. I will do that with my old club. I can't
afford to let myself go because next term is an important  one for me. Of course,
there is the contract but I am not even  considering that yet. It's not in my
thoughts."

---------------------------------
[6] You what?
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 3, 2001 by bar-knee:
Who  voted for Gerrard? They can't have the internet on Merseyside ! Oh yes...all
their supporters in China, Australia, etc...

'Steven Gerrard enjoyed a double celebration after his Professional
Footballers Association young player of the year. Gerrard came out on top in the
voting on the PFA's website ahead of  Danny Tiatto and David Beckham. Fans were given
the opportunity to select their favourite player  from each division for the first
time.'

---------------------------------
[5] Bestie off...the aftershave
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 3, 2001 by bar-knee:
George Best:

"It just means basically that alcohol is a no-go area. Even if you attempt to do it
you just can't take the chance because it is so dangerous - it is a decision I had to
take. I have to check my food to make sure there isn't any alcohol in it. Even
aftershave, I can't use aftershave because it has alcohol in it. That is how good the
drug is."

I am feeling "fighting fit".

---------------------------------
[4] Full ABU mode
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 3, 2001 by bar-knee:
Leeds 0 Valencia 0

Forget the match, just how many times did Leeds sing about us. With their Only one
United in Europe' officially sanctioned banners to constant songs about us - this in a
European semi for godsakes. It says how small time they are - when we played Juve two
years back as if we cared or thought about any of our rivals against real opposition.
Offer a sheep a win against us or Valencia next week and they'd probably talk about
nothing else than 'manu' - it says it all.

---------------------------------
[3] Trying to create a good atmosphere
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 3, 2001 by bar-knee:
After a few dodgy post title celebrations as the whole event has been seemingly taken
away from us in the past few years to be replaced by a PLC munching stage managed
theme show with that bloody song (with all the players' names accompanying our songs
but with PLC words) it seems as though some in the club are working hard on this year
being different and memorable.

With a short time between the players going off and the trophy being presented for
once there is serious debate going on as to whether we should be left to our own
devices as the music is turned off. If this happens we owe it to all the moans we've
given about letting them do it for us to bring the house down with the noise - as
presumably we'll be allowed to stand then as it's one long 'moment of high drama'.
Anyway, Paddy Harverson has said any comments we get about ideas about what should
happen with regards music/atmosphere/turning the music off will be read but we need
[EMAIL PROTECTED] and we'll pass them on to the club late Thursday. After all,
it's our show so why shouldn't we have some input?

---------------------------------
[2] Pointless Becks story of the day
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 3, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From the Mirror - once again Becks' hair is front page news. And have you seen their
>3am column. Spotted- Becks on a mobile phone. And that's news?!

'DAVID Beckham celebrates his 26th birthday by showing the world his latest striking
hairdo. On the street they call it a Step, much favoured of hardmen imitating the
American G.I. look.  But off the record yesterday, onlookers likened it more to
Steptoe.

Becks proudly turned his head to show his hair shaven from halfway down his scalp to
the nape, with the number 2 clipped crop on the top.
He's in good company. Ex-footballer turned Hollywood actor Vinnie Jones, Brian Harvey
from the pop group E17 and numerous rappers have adopted the half crop. Actor Will
Smith wore a Step haircut and so
did Tom Hanks when he played the famous geek Forrest Gump.

But Man Utd and England star David had another string to his bow yesterday -
diamond-encrusted earrings which were a prezzie from Posh Spice wife Victoria.

They sat oddly with his faded and blue-hooded top cut off at the elbow, mismatched
with the lower half of someone's tracksuit bottoms and finished off with a large patch
screen print of a man's head and the figure eight sewn on to the front.

Beckham usually likes to wear trendy Japanese label Evisu and young British designer
Wale Adeyemi. Curiously, no one was claiming responsibility for his latest ensemble
yesterday.

But though Becks wouldn't comment on his new hairstyle, he seemed pleased enough. A
friend said: "David likes having his hair cut very short.  He likes to make an impact
and he thinks it looks great."

Becks had equally weighty matters on his mind as he arrived at the
Hertfordshire home of Victoria's parents.  He revealed young son Brooklyn is giving
them a hard time.

"Brooklyn is not very well - he's teething," David said. Enough to make any dad tear
his hair out.'

[1] PSV have a go at Fergie
Posted Thursday, May 3, 2001 by bar-knee: