---------------------------------
[15] Next years ticket prices
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, April 22, 2001 by tb:
Thanks to Michael Crick of Shareholders Utd for this:

Before today's game against City, Peter Kenyon, David Gill and Paddy
Harverson gave members of the Fans' Forum a quick briefing on next year's ticket
prices and their arrangements.

The headline bad news is hefty price rises, though there are some positive aspects to
the package.

United expect ticket revenue to go up 7½ per cent next year - more than twice the rate
of inflation.  Fortunately the increased are loaded towards the more expansive seats.

The 39,000 seats which currently cost between £17 and £21 will got up by a pound.  By
my calculations, that's between 4.8 and 5.9%

The 23,000 seats which currently cost £22 to £24 will go up by £2.  That's between 8.3
and 9.1%

And executive seats and boxes will go up 10%, having suffered no increase at all last
year.

Forum members expressed their annoyance at these rises, especially given United's
recent record interim profits and the lucrative new BSkyB deal.  At least they have
taken on board the case put forward by SU and IMUSA that any increases should be
weighted towards wealthier fans.

The good news is as follows:

1.  People over 65 will be guaranteed a 20% discount on their season-tickets & LMTBs
in future if they can show they are over 65.  Previously such discounts were
discretionary.  [It has since been pointed out to me that some OAPs currently get a
50% discount and also 50% for cup tickets.  I don't know where this measures leaves
such concessions.]

2.  Home League Cup games - if there are any - will see a 33% cut in ticket prices.

seats in East Stand Lower will be sold match-by-match to members between the ages of
11 to 16 for £9 each.  This capacity will be reviewed if there is heavy demand.

4.  The ST and LMTB renewal deadline will be 19 May, but payment won't be taken, i.e..
cheques cashed, or credit card payments processed, until 1 June.
Renewal packages will be sent out next week, 23-27 April.

5.  There will be an amnesty for people who have had season tickets passed on to them.

6.  A new facility on the United web-site will enable fans to swap ST and LMTB seats.

All these moves were in response to points made at previous meetings of the Fans'
Forum.

United's arguments for the price rises were predictable (and assisted today by the
understandable clamour from individual FF members before the briefing for Kenyon to
let Fergie spends lots of money on new players).
United certainly planned to invest in new players, Kenyon and Gill said, plus new
facilities at Carrington, and player wages are rising rapidly.

They also claimed out that prices were also rising at other PL clubs & that even with
these rises United will be no higher than 13th in the league table of the highest
prices next season.  It was acknowledged that Sunderland & Aston Villa intend to
freeze and/or cut their prices, but said they can't always fill their grounds.

On behalf of SU I said very firmly that the prices rises were unacceptably high and
that many fans would not be able to afford them.  But I did welcome the fact that the
burden is weighted towards the more expensive seating, and the fact that the club had
responded to Fans' Forum points with its other measures.

Michael Crick

---------------------------------
[14] Teddy - disappointed
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, April 22, 2001 by tb:
Sheringham insisted United have not wound down for the remainder of season.

He said: "We were desperately disappointed not to win against City. When you go in
front at home you expect to win. There were little half chances bobbing about all over
the place.

"I think you are always proving a point in football. There are people ready to point
the finger all the time, especially when you are playing for a top club like Man
United.

"I think we owe it to the other teams to play to the best of our capabilities for the
next couple of games against the ones involved in the dogfight at the bottom. We will
continue to do our utmost to get three points."

---------------------------------
[13] Fergie on Teddy
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, April 22, 2001 by tb:
"He's an important part of the squad, and you don't want to lose squad players.

"Teddy knows his form at the early part of this season kept him in the team, he was
the first striker in then."

---------------------------------
[12] Teddy wants to stay put
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, April 22, 2001 by tb:
As he comments on the Ruud boy situation

"You never know, there's no change from 10 weeks ago."

"It's no different from any other year, there are always big signings coming in and we
have to compete with big players at this club.

"It's good for the club but it's no different from my point of view."

---------------------------------
[11] Keano to get 4 match ban?
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, April 22, 2001 by tb:
We have not seen the referee's report yet," said an FA jobsworth. "However, assuming
Roy Keane was sent off for violent conduct, it will constitute the mandatory
suspension."

Surprised they haven't repealed the death sentence

---------------------------------
[10] Gooners getting Arsey with Wenger
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, April 22, 2001 by tb:
The Sunday Mirror reports that the Arse are wanting the scout master to sign on the
dotted line now, or they may start to look for another Akela.

Wenger is stalling signing a new deal, when his current contract runs out at the end
of next season.

Surprised we haven't seen a 'Wenger wants Fergie's job' headline as the tabloids are
usually very quick to put one and one together to make six

---------------------------------
[9] Fight at the Bates Motel?
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, April 22, 2001 by tb:
As vice president Peter Harrison wants to bid for the club, backed by Matthew Hardings
widow.

'Norman' has said "It's a load of rubbish."

I'm not sure if he wasn't referring to the team though!

---------------------------------
[8] More on Cisse bid
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, April 22, 2001 by tb:
L'Equipe reports that we are in contact with Auxerre over the transfer of Djibril
Cissé. They mention a £6 M bid.

---------------------------------
[7] Kenyon - What 50 million?
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, April 22, 2001 by tb:
As purse string holder in chief says the amount of pocket money for new players
is'pretty exaggerated'.

'We will always balance the books. We have provided the money when it's for the right
reasons. What we'll never do is splash it about all over the place. There will be
financial guidelines and limits.'

We go through this pallaver every year. We never have, and never will go around money
doing a loadsamoney impression, but the tabloid hacks have to do this story so they
can publish (the already written)Utd skinflints stories later on at a suitable date -
i.e if we don't get to the CL final next year.

The club, however only have themselves to blame, when they promote this 'World's
richest club' bolloxs when everyone knows that this has nothing to do with being able
to buy new players, and all about pleasing the City (the pin stripe London version).

---------------------------------
[6] Fergie on Becks situation
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, April 22, 2001 by tb:
"I know David Beckham has been linked with moves away from this club but that is all
talk.

"We're still in negotiations with him over a new contract and I'm sure that will go
all right."

---------------------------------
[5] Fergie: If I was a rich man
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, April 22, 2001 by tb:
"I wish I had £50million to spend,".

"If I had that amount I really could spend it properly and bring the best players into
the squad.

"But until I speak to the directors I can't say for sure what kind of investment we
will make.

"If it is possible I will keep this squad together. I don't see why we should have to
sell."

---------------------------------
[4] Fergie: Now is the time for action
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, April 22, 2001 by tb:
"Now is the time for Manchester Untied to buy new players
"We need three players because this team needs fresh faces.

"Changes will have to be made to perk everyone up and the three players we buy will
have to be very good."

As well as the Ruud boy, Becks is expected to re-sign and Auxerre's Djibril Cisse is
another target.

And we are not, repeat not going for Rivaldo (shock horror, probe!)

---------------------------------
[4] Kenyon on Ruud negotiations
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, April 22, 2001 by tb:
"We met PSV last night (Friday) to start negotiations with regard to the transfer of
Ruud van Nistelrooy.

"We've started negotiations, but we still have some way to go. We expect talks to
resume on Monday."

---------------------------------
[3] Mr Potato Head on game
Posted Sunday, April 22, 2001 by tb:
"I thought we deserved it,". "I was disappointed that we were not ahead at half-time.

"Having said that, it's probably best to score against them late on.

"It doesn't make a dramatic difference for us on the face of it, but confidence wise
this is a great morale booster."

[2] Fergie not impressed
Posted Sunday, April 22, 2001 by tb: