---------------------------------
[29] Reds unhappy with TV
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, August 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From MEN

'TV bosses were today accused of ''using'' armchair Manchester United
fans to boost viewing figures after they screened just three minutes  of a match.
Thousands tuned in to ITV's new Premiership highlights programme to  watch the Reds'
pulsating 2-2 draw with Blackburn Rovers.

But many were left angry when presenter Des Lynam explained that all  the action,
screened at the end of the show, had to be squeezed into  three minutes. Coverage was
restricted because the match was earlier broadcast live  on pay-per-view satellite
channels.

But fans, who stayed up and sat through extended highlights of Fulham  versus
Sunderland, were fuming there was no earlier warning.

Andy Walsh, a spokesman for the Independent Manchester United
Supporters, said: ''It is regrettable that the show was advertised as
highlights and people waited up to watch it. But all they got was three minutes at the
end. If it had been publicised that the main match was Fulham versus  Sunderland, with
very brief highlights of United afterwards, would as  many people have tuned in? I
think not. It's a case of fans being used to pull in viewers. Media companies  must
stop short-changing supporters because there will be a  backlash.''

A spokesman for ITV said that its contract dictated three minutes
maximum coverage for any highlights of any game broadcast live by
satellite channels earlier in the day.

He added: ''We would have loved to show more of the match, but we are restricted by
the contractual arrangements.''

Asked whether the game should have been advertised as ''brief highlights,'' he said:
''Three minutes of a match is highlights. United fans can rest assured they will
feature heavily in the  Premiership show throughout the season."

---------------------------------
[28] Kenyon glad we didn't get Celtic
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, August 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Anyone who gets Celtic knows they have got a game on their hands, that is the
reality. Even a so-called friendly testimonial, you only have to look at the
atmosphere and the passion surrounding that to know that in a real competition they
would be someone to really contend with. We have got not just a quantity but an
absolute quality to do well in this competition. We all believe we have a squad which
is right for all that we are trying to achieve. I'm sure everybody though will
continue to keep it in Sir Alex's mind and everybody's mind where the final is and
what that would mean to him."

---------------------------------
[27] Arse want Old Firm in
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, August 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
David Dein (again, promise it's the last time we mention him today...)

"I am convinced there will be a need for some restructuring in the future. The end of
the current TV contract in three years would be the perfect catalyst for such change.
When those TV deals expire it would be an ideal opportunity to sit down and look very
carefully at the state of the game and ask ourselves whether we should get the two
Scottish clubs involved. Personally I believe we should all have an open mind on the
subject rather than pre-empt any decision. I'm not suggesting that Rangers and Celtic
should simply walk in at the top end and that's why a restructuring of English
football in the next three to five years would be the way ahead. It should not simply
be taboo to suggest that Rangers and Celtic could play in English football. It is not
forward-thinking to merely dismiss it."

---------------------------------
[26] Latest transfer link
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, August 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
Lauren Blanc, again.

---------------------------------
[25] Stam on being dropped
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, August 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I am going to get my head down and  work all the harder because I want to be out
there playing every game for United.  It is the manager's decision about who is
selected and I have to  respect that. It is still early in the season and all I can do
is  carry on working hard in training. The gaffer wants everyone to be  sharp and he
feels that the best way to achieve that is to change  things round.

I don't think anyone in the team could argue that our defensive  displays have been up
to the required standard and we all know that  competition for places at Old Trafford
is intense for every  position. That is part and parcel of being at United.  It is
what makes this such a great club and the simple fact is you have to accept the downs
as well as ups."

---------------------------------
[24] We bid £30m for Vieira
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, August 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
Along with Real Madrid and Juventus.

David Dein:

"The easiest thing would have been for us to take the £30-£40m. Instead, we ensured
one of the world's greatest players respected his contract."

---------------------------------
[23] Keane injured?
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, August 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From the SUN

'ROY KEANE is set to miss the Republic of Ireland's crunch World Cup qualifier against
Holland with an ankle injury. Keane, 30, went for a scan yesterday and will get the
results today but it is understood he could be out for up to THREE WEEKS.

The Manchester United and Republic captain received a heavy blow to his ankle in
Wednesday's 2-2 draw with Blackburn. Keane was limping immediately but tried to run
the injury off. He completed the full 90 minutes but appeared to be in some discomfort
at stages during the game.

A United insider said: "Roy is very down right now. He is praying the scan shows the
injury is not as bad as it could be. All he is thinking about is the Holland game. He
would be devastated to miss it. He knows how much Ireland need him. These are worrying
times."

Ireland must get at least a draw against Holland on September 1.  Anything less and
their World Cup dream will be over. But without talismanic Keane in midfield, the
Republic are a seriously weakened team. The Holland camp are delighted to hear they
may be playing a Keane-less Republic.

Boss Louis Van Gaal said: "Roy Keane is Mr Ireland. He is their leader and organiser.
If he is injured then that is very bad luck for Mick McCarthy. But I am more concerned
with my own players than worrying about the ones Ireland have or do not have."

---------------------------------
[22] Cole talk continues
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, August 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
As the SUN reckons both Newcastle and Fulham ARE sniffing around. Do hope Cole's agent
isn't stirring the tea cup so to speak.

---------------------------------
[21] Lille home ticket details
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, August 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
Manchester United vs Lille
Old Trafford, Tuesday 18th September kisk off 7.45pm.

Sales will commence to Season/LMTB Holders who can purchase their own seats at the
times stated below on production of voucher 41 (duly completed) and their membership
card. Alternatively ST/LMTB Holders unable to make a personal application can purchase
their own seat by telephoning the MUFC Ticket Line on 0161 868 8010 at the same times
giving details of their customer number and credit card (Please note an administration
fee of 3% per transaction is charged).

Tuesday 28th August 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Wednesday 29th August 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Thursday 30th August 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Friday 31st August 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

ADDITIONALLY, ALL SEASON/LMTB HOLDERS WHO HAVE REGISTERED FOR THE AUTOMATIC CUP SCHEME
SHOULD NOTE THAT TICKETS WILL BE PROCESSED DURING THE FIRST WEEK OF SALES.

Due to increased perimeter boards rows AA/BB in East/West stands and a
small number of seats in rows AA-CC in North stand will not be sold.
Additionally, Blocks 226/227 and row 27 in Blocks 126/127 in South stand has been
reserved for UEFA/Press facilities. Season Ticket Holders in these areas are requested
to make a postal application and state in their preference for alternative seating.

ADDITIONALLY ALL ST/LMTB HOLDERS WHO HAVE REGISTERED FOR THE AUTOMATIC CUP SCHEME
SHOULD NOTE THAT TICKETS WILL BE PROCESSED DURING THE FIRST WEEK OF SALES.

Due to increased perimeter boards rows AA/BB in East/West stands and a
small number of seats in rows AA-CC in North Stand will not be sold.
Additionally, Blocks 226/227 and row 27 in Block 126/127 in South Stand has been
reserved for UEFA/Press facilities. Season Ticket Holders in these areas are requested
to make a postal application and state their preference for alternative seating.

ST/LMTB Holders who wish to purchase other than their usual seat can do so on Saturday
1st September from 9am until 2pm by making a personal application or by telephoning
the MUFC Ticket Line. Or alternatively making an IMMEDIATE postal application
enclosing letter of application, relevant voucher (duly completed), first class sae,
open cheque (made payable to MUFC) or credit/debit card details (please note, an
administration fee of 3% per transaction is charged).

Please ensure the incoming envelope is clearly marked EUROPEAN.

SALES TO MEMBERS:

Sales will then continue to Members who can purchase a seat on a best
available basis from the Ticket Office from Monday 3rd September until Thursday 6th
September 9am until 5pm (subject to availability) on
production of their membership card.

SALES TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC:

Additionally, the general public can purchase a ticket on a best available basis on
Friday 7th September from 9am until 5pm or by telephoning the MUFC Ticket Line on 0161
868 8010 at the same time, giving their debit/credit card details (please note a 3%
administration fee per transaction is charged).

A FURTHER ANNOUNCEMENT REGARDING TICKET AVAILABILITY WILL BE MADE AT THE EVERTON GAME
ON SATURDAY 8TH SEPTEMBER.

---------------------------------
[20] Des Kelly column in the M****r on Stam
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, August 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
'THERE is no better way to escape reality than heavy drinking. Silly me. Of course
there is. Try extracting a grain of truth from a football club.

Let's take the fascinating case of Jaap Stam, the Manchester United defender and
now-controversial author, who is about as popular in his team's dressing room as
Salman Rushdie at a book signing in WH Smith, Tehran.

According to United, Stam was not dropped from the squad at Blackburn in midweek
because he angered his manager Sir Alex Ferguson with his memoirs, but because of his
poor form. Sure. And my name's Des Lynam.

We were also told the player was not banned from his own book launch, but prevented
from attending because "new player guidelines" had been introduced at United just a
few hours earlier. Now this was either an extraordinary co-incidence, or laughably
transparent PR doublespeak? Answers on a postcard please.

Stam's crimes were simple enough. He was guilty of being articulate, interesting,
opinionated and controversial - all cardinal sins in the cotton wool world of the
English Premiership.

Here bland waffle and censorship is the order of the day and for bucking that trend,
Stam has found himself dumped into swift exile at United.

In case you missed it, Stam told everyone he was tapped up by United before he signed;
pointed out that David Beckham does not bear an intellect which would have nabbed him
a maths GCSE aged five; that Dwight Yorke likes to spray it about a bit (I'm talking
tom-cat style, not long passes); the Neville brothers whine a lot; and United's
players were told to dive like Greg Louganis to win penalties.

It was riveting stuff - not because there was anything in there you didn't already
suspect (you mean to say that Beckham's a bit dim? Well I never). But because it is
rare for a top player to be so candid about his profession and the personalities
around him.

Most sports books are outright rubbish, fit only for kindling or to prevent a dinner
table rocking from side to side. Many ghost-written columns are even worse. They are
rain-forest depleting pap, knocked out by hard-pressed journalists who are supposed to
be grateful for the brief audience generously granted by a player's agent.

Here, the unfortunate hack has to glean enough information to justify the cheque
handed to a sportsman who has developed an educated right foot, but neglected to
educate other parts of his anatomy as a consequence.

Inevitably, the end product is often dire - sold only on the name at the top of the
page. Let's face it. Ask yourself when you last read an Alan Shearer 'column' and
thought: 'Wow. How interesting!' It doesn't happen. It's there to sell football boots
and earn easy money. The telephone directory provides more unexpected twists and turns
of the plot.

But producing this kind of copy is no easy task. It once fell to me to write the Ruud
Gullit column for a Sunday newspaper. The Dutchman was supposed to guide readers
through the excitement of the 1996 European Championships by drawing on his expert
knowledge. At least that was the plan.

The only trouble was Ruud didn't always want to be found, despite his advisers' best
efforts.

One particularly exciting analysis of an England performance was crafted without
actually speaking to the great man until the paper had gone to print. Luckily, he
agreed with the sentiments.

Another 2,000-word preview had to be stitched together when a conversation in a west
London Japanese restaurant was abruptly curtailed after three minutes because his two
young daughters began a noisy fight over the sushi.

In that kind of environment, corners are cut and mistakes can be made. But allow me to
provide you with a few secrets of the Stam serialisationand then you can make your own
mind up whether this was the case here.

(Usually, this kind of information is treated as confidential by newspapers - but what
the hell. Besides. There's no better way to get someone to listen than to say it's a
secret).

First off, it is a reasonable line of enquiry to wonder if the book was hastily
knocked together. That could account for United's attempts to block it and the
publishers' belated panic. So was it written without consultations with the player?

The blunt answer is no. The author diligently met Stam on average every three weeks
over a six-month period and has at least 20 hours of  taped conversations. So we can
assume Stam co-operated fully and the author presented his thoughts accurately enough
to pass the proof readers.

Maybe he was "stitched up" by the newspaper then? It's a fair question. It would be
stupid to pretend that a quote has never been taken out of context to provide a
headline. It's a short-term ploy, as the upshot tends to mean one banished reporter,
but it has happened.

Indeed, had you found a Sunday Telegraph blowing around a deserted railway station
last weekend you might have been forgiven for assuming this was the case. Here
Ferguson claimed: "The book is not  actually saying - it never does - anything like
the serialisation is".

Well he should know - but we'll return to that later. For now, let's examine the
accusation, because it is a dangerous one. It implies that The Mirror invented
extracts that did not appear in the Harper Collins text.

Luckily I have a copy of the manuscript on my desk, but I have been spared the cost of
postage to the Sunday Telegraph and also to Mr Ferguson by our colleagues at the Daily
Mail. Their experienced columnist, Ian Wooldridge, might not be known for his love of
football nor his delight in the more cynical constructs of the modern game, yet he
managed to establish one important truth nonetheless. (I should point out that
"truth", "Daily" and "Mail" are not words you will see in the same sentence very often
on this page, but credit where it's due.)

"I checked with the publishers," wrote Wooldridge. "Yes, they confirmed, every word
which appeared in quotation marks in the newspaper serialisation was exactly the same
as had appeared in Stam's original manuscript".

That's another area of contention resolved, then. The real problem here is that United
wanted to water down Stam's views and control his version of events. The publishers
even tried to ask us to pretend Stam had not said he'd been told to "dive", despite
the fact that the word was clearly in their own manuscript.

They received the same answer as the PR official at United who suggested The Mirror
could not use recent pictures of Fabien Barthez's bandaged hands - photos he was happy
to pose for by the way - because it was "not in the public interest".

When one of the world's most-successful goalkeepers reveals he has a painful and
persistent skin condition and wears protective dressings under his gloves, I'd say it
might be pretty damn interesting to many  members of the public. And these are the
same PR people who complain newspapers never check stories with them. Is it any
wonder?

But next, let's turn to the important matter of money. Neither Stam nor the publishers
produced this book because they wanted the world to benefit from a work of literary
genius. It was for cash.

Apparently, Stam thought he might receive a Tony Adams-style advance of six figures.
The aforementioned Wooldridge also said The Mirror paid a "vast amount of money" for
his memoirs.

We did not. We paid approximately 30 times LESS than Ferguson received for his own
book serialisation, a deal, you might recall, where he was happy enough to include a
few controversies just for headline purposes.

In newspaper terms, we paid peanuts for Stam. I know of footballers who command more
for a single column than The Mirror invested in this entire book deal.

So looking at the impact on sales, the headlines and column inches that followed it,
Stam's book could be regarded as one of the best bits of business of this or any
season.

What a shame the player has had to pay the price. Let's hope it is only a temporary
punishment and, in the meantime, the giant of a defender can let his Lilliputian
tormentors have their day and console himself with the fact he has a few more chapters
in the bank ready for his next venture into the world of publishing.'

                                                                       FOOTBALL:
TAYLOR: I'M FIRST FOR
                                                                       AXE

                                                                       FOOTBALL:
FERGIE: THAT'S THE LAST
                                                                       YOU'LL SEE OF
FAB'S MAD ANTICS

                                                                       DES KELLY'S
COLUMN: HONEST JAAP
                                                                       PAYS A HEAVY
PRICE FOR TELLING
                                                                       THE TRUTH

                                                                       FOOTBALL: RUDI
CHEEK!

                                                                       FOOTBALL:
RANIERI: BOZ IS NO ED
                                                                       CASE

                                                                       FOOTBALL:
WILEY: I WAS RIGHT

                                                                       FOOTBALL:
DALGLISH LINED UP

                                                                       FOOTBALL: KEV'S
SET FOR TOURE

                                                                       FOOTBALL:
NAYSMITH TO RESCUE

                                                                       FOOTBALL:
THOMAS STILL TOPS

---------------------------------
[19] Rover on disallowed goal
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, August 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
Corrado Grabbi:

"I took the ball off Barthez fairly. It was a good goal and I never touched him. We
also should have had a penalty when he pulled me back a second time. We were the
better team and maybe it was the referee who was not so good."

---------------------------------
[18] Last word from Fergie on Blackburn
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, August 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
"In the first half they gave as good a performance as you are likely to see, but in
the second half they went out and were stupid. At times it was naive, it was sloppy
and there was no edge to the game. That is simply not good enough for any Manchester
United team."

---------------------------------
[17] Funny story from Yonner Land
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, August 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
In a pub (not the Fernhurst) near the away end at Blackburn. After the game the
landlord talking to a regular: 'Bloody hell, United fans have cleared my stock - I'll
have to get another delivery to have anything for Spurs fans (must be their next game)
- God these Utd fans can drink, well beahved though'

Tell that to the Football Licensing Authority then...

---------------------------------
[16] Peter Taylor on way out
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, August 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I am well aware that certain directors are quickly losing patience with me. There is
no point me claiming otherwise. I am a realist - I know time is running out fast for
me. Because of our disappointing results in the second half of last season, I was
estimating I might get eight matches to prove I can still do it. What happened against
Bolton has shortened the timescale, and if we carry on in a similar vein then I shall
be left with no alternative but to accept the sack."

The next England boss!

---------------------------------
[15] Early Champs League odds
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, August 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
(we're still trying to work out why - not how - UEFA made Liverpool one of the top
seeds, jammy bastards).

An all-British final is 10-1.

Manchester United 6-1 joint second-favourites (with Bayern).

Liverpool and Arsenal 16-1
Celtic 40-1
Real Madrid 4-1
English team to win it 3-1

---------------------------------
[14] Kenyon on Cole link to Geordies
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, August 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
"No formal offer has been received and as far as I am concerned this is just
speculation. No offer has come in, but we would consider each one on its own merits.
There is always a balance between the number of players we have got and what we are
expected to do but we have added to the quality to the squad over the summer."

---------------------------------
[13] Veron misses Argentina game because...
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, August 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
Veron's not in the squad to play Brazil because he's got a one match
suspension after picking up another yellow card in the last match.

Thanks to Al for the info.

---------------------------------
[12] Djordjic to go out on loan
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, August 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
United winger Bojan Djordjic:

"I haven't heard anything from Alex Ferguson. It wouldn't hurt to play regularly in
the First Division for a while. It would be good for me to play regularly in a first
team."

Loan deal to probably be completed after he signs a new contract.

---------------------------------
[11] Johnsen back in Norway squad
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, August 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
in the Norway squad to face Poland and Wales.

Norway coach Nils Johan Semb:

"It hasn't looked good for Johnsen since the World Cup in 1998. But it is not a
coincidence that Alex Ferguson used him against  Blackburn. The game was tough and it
gave me an answer to how Johnsen can perform."

Goalkeepers: Baardsen (Watford), Myhre (Everton)

Defenders: Basma (Rosenborg), Berg (Blackburn), Bergdolmo (Ajax), Hoftun (Rosenborg),
Johnsen (Manchester United), Riise (Liverpool)

Midfielders: Bakke (Leeds), Rudi (Lokeren), Strand (Lillestrom), Strand (Rosenborg),
Sorensen (Borussia Dortmund)

Forwards:, Carew (Valencia), Iversen (Tottenham), Leonhardsen (Tottenham),  Rudi
(Lokeren), Solskjaer (Manchester United)

---------------------------------
[10] Kenyon happy
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, August 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I think, overall, the draw is pretty good. We have avoided really long travel, which
is always important and we have avoided areas where the weather works against you.
Overall we are reasonably satisfied. We have avoided those sort of problems, but there
are decent sides in this group, like Deportivo who were quarter-finalists recently.
Even sides like Lille, who knocked out Parma, which is why Liverpool got into the top
group of seeds. You can't underestimate anybody, but we have enough experience to know
how to manage that now, particularly as we are away to Olympiakos first."

---------------------------------
[9] Lille draw reaction
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, August 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
Translated by Red News contributor, Marc

Johny Ecker, Lille defender : "It's a dream to play at Old Trafford.
Manchester is the biggest club in the world, the team I wanted to  play. But for us
now it's all bonus, and we are just enjoying the  moment."

---------------------------------
[8] Fergie denies Cole talk
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, August 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
"No. It (the speculation) doesn't help the club, it doesn't help the player and it
doesn't help the other clubs. There's nothing there."

---------------------------------
[7] Fergie on the draw
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, August 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
"It (the draw) is not bad but Deportivo are always a very difficult team. I watched
the game against Leeds last year and I thought they were very unfortunate. It'll be a
tough game. You know you are going to get hard games but they're all hard against each
other and there's a lot of cutting each others' throats."

Wonder how Leeds fans behaved in Coruna (well, no need to guess is there)...

---------------------------------
[6] Those other UEFA awards
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, August 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
'Valencia's former star Gaizka Mendieta, now with Lazio, was named best midfielder,
while Kahn also picked up the Fair Play trophy for the way he comforted Valencia's
Santiago Canizares after last season's Champions League final. Best striker was Real
Madrid's Raul.'

---------------------------------
[5] Is this some kind of joke?
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, August 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova

'Liverpool and Alaves fans were named supporters of the year at Uefa's annual awards
gala, in Monte Carlo. Gerard Houllier was in the top three for the Uefa coach of the
year award, but it was Bayern Munich's Ottmar Hitzfeld who took the honour.
Liverpool's veteran midfielder Gary McAllister also missed the most valuable player
award, having also been in the top three. But Liverpool fans, along with the Alaves
counterparts, were jointly awarded the supporters of the year award for their
marvellous behaviour at last season's Uefa Cup Final.'

---------------------------------
[4] Dein talks giddy, nonsense and then pound signs
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, August 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
David Dein of Arse:

"We have now got a stronger squad than we have had for several years. I'd like to
think that we are better equipped that ever before to achieve our goals. The fact that
we are seeded seventh in the draw speaks volumes for Arsene Wenger and the team and
coaches, we are proud to be where we are. Obviously, winning our domestic league is
the gateway to all this, but we have never won the Champions League and it is our
ultimate aim, the icing on the cake. We need to go as far as we can in every
competition because you need to recover some of your overheads."

---------------------------------
[3] Breaking news - Lille games to be played at Lens
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, August 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
Just down the road from Lille at Lens.

www.rednews.co.uk breaks this story with a UK exclusive after the draw.

All Lille Champions league game will be played at Lens - Stade Felix
Bollaert. The capacity is 40,000 and we will get 4000 tickets.

Good news.

---------------------------------
[2] Euro away early comment
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, August 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
Our contact in France says that Lille is hardly inspiring - of course beer is
available which will be the main point of focus but weather too similar to England
(grey, grey, grey) and only the local students (who will be around) to get the
temperatures rising.

Lots of people seem to be piling into cheap Eurostar trains straight to Lilles - see
later news story to the game being moved, but not that far away. A few Reds seem to be
heading to Paris (80 odd miles away) and head in on the day of the game.

As to Olympiakos, seems that Easjyet have well and truly rumbled United fans'
movements - no cheap flights at the moment to Greece for that week. Those planning a
week of it might be best placed to bag a charter and get a ferry into Greece (you can
get them from nearly every island daily). Have any queries ask us - we know quite a
bit about the place.

Coruna? Our correspondent Basque Dave writes: 'La Coruña is a heck of a long way from
everywhere. There is an airport of some sort in nearby Santiago de Compostela, but I
imagine it only has internal and charter flights. The nearest economy type regular
flights are probably to Madrid and Bilbao, but even then it is almost a full days
drive. A canny alternative is maybe to find a flight to Oporto in Northern Portugal
which is actually much closer. How about chartering a cruise liner and doing it in
style?!'

Trains are lengthy from Bilbao and lots of Reds are discussing how to get to Coruna on
trains, etc on our forum. Seems even from Porto it's a bit of a trek - anyone who
manages to get cheap internal flights straight there, let us know!

---------------------------------
[1] Fergie special, Red News no.79
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, August 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
Both available for sale at the Villa game.

Red News issue no 79 you can order for just £2 including postage and packing.

Red News has produced a limited edition FERGIE SPECIAL to commemortae his last season
in charge, with many unqiue memories and insights into his reign at United.

This really is a must have but we anticipate selling out completely in the not too
distant future.

A few loyal Red News readers (we kiss the ground that you walk on) have asked us how
they can still get one.

1) Through mail order. Each copy costs just £2.50 including postage and packing and
can be ordered via Red News, P.O.Box 176, Manchester, M16 8LG

2) Sportspages branches in Manchester and London have stock

3) Buying a copy from Red News sellers at the Villa (away) and Everton and Ipswich
games.

4) Then we may have no more copies left, unless the Megastore decide to stock it!

5) Veron, Veron, Veron, Veron, Veron, Veron, VERON!