---------------------------------
[30] EURO DRAW
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 23, 2001 by bar-knee:
See you at 3pm, here, live Champs League draw.

---------------------------------
[29] Ref thinks he was right
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 23, 2001 by bar-knee:
Philip Don, head of referees, talked to Alan Wiley

"I have spoken to the referee and his comment to David Beckham was 'you have to wait
until Craig Short leaves the pitch'. And according to the referee Craig Short had
actually left the pitch when David Beckham took the free-kick."

---------------------------------
[28] Boylie classic for Veron
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 23, 2001 by bar-knee:
WE HAD JOY
WE HAD FUN
JUAN SEBASTIAN VERON
AND THE JOY
IT WILL LAST
EVERY BA**ARD IS OUTCLASSED!

---------------------------------
[27] More from Irwin
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 23, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I had a good long think during the summer. It was mostly First Division clubs who
showed an interest. All  except one of them meant me uprooting my family.  But I would
have done that if it had been a bigger club who'd  wanted me. There was one club who I
thought seriously about but to be  honest nothing really jumped out at me. But it
wouldn't have fazed me  moving away from Old Trafford.  I also waited a long while
before making my mind up to see who we'd  buy in the summer. Obviously there were
reports of United buying  Lilian Thuram or Bixente Lizarazu but when they didn't that
helped me  make up my mind.  But I only have one or two years left in me now but only
one will  be with United. You never know when your legs will suddenly pack in  on you
but at the moment I feel fine."

---------------------------------
[26] Irwin on leaving next summer
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 23, 2001 by bar-knee:
"When you get to around 34 you start to think that you are facing  your last season
and I thought last term would be the end of it for  me here But this campaign is
definitely my last with United. I may play on  beyond that elsewhere but it won't be
here. You just know when it's  your time and next summer will be it for me at Old
Trafford. I have thought it might be the end in the past but now I know it  really is

Not playing in the big games against Valencia and Bayern Munich was  a shock to me and
I was very disappointed. Having played in nearly all United's big matches for 10
years, not  being involved hurt. But I was probably fighting the reality of it  all
last season. I am nearly 36 and I have got to understand that I  won't play in every
match any more. Age is creeping up so there has  to be a touch of realism now.

But I still hope there will be some big game appearances this time. I will be battling
as hard as ever to be there on those occasions.  The manager phoned me up a few times
during the summer when I was  considering my future and he told me I'd play 25-30
games in the  season. That doesn't seem a lot but at this club players are battling
for subs places let alone positions in the team. I have to accept  that.

It is going to be a hell of a battle to even play 25-30 games but I  feel as fit as
ever and I am going to give it a bash.  It has been a good start for me. I played on
Sunday against Fulham  and to be honest I don't really think I expected that. You just
don't  know these days here because it is the strongest squad I have ever  known in my
time at United and the most talented."

---------------------------------
[25] More from Fergie
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 23, 2001 by bar-knee:
"It was a good bit of thinking by David but I thought we should have had an advantage.
The refs are stopping the game far too quickly. Twice we were stopped in attacking
positions and brought back 10 or 15 yards. I was annoyed at the time but it was quite
fortuitous in the end. It would be nice if referees would let us know what was going
on. I am not sure professional refs are really going to work.

Jaap had a disappointing game on Sunday and knows it.  There is a lot of slackness,
which is getting punished at the moment."

---------------------------------
[24] More from Sourness
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 23, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I am not even sure Short had left the field of play. Brad was upset about it and he
has every reason to be."

---------------------------------
[23] More from Fergie
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 23, 2001 by bar-knee:
"The chaos and slackness were unbelievable and we were punished. From a position of
great control in the first half, playing football you won't see anywhere for a long
time, we ended up scrambling for a point. I am disappointed and I am sure they are as
well. The only thing I can take is that when you are 2-1 down away from home with 15
minutes to go and get something from the game, it shows quality."

---------------------------------
[22] Massive auction
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 23, 2001 by bar-knee:
'An Italian man is auctioning off his girlfriend online for the equivalent of three
pence. The 30-year-old man from Padova claims she's always too busy to see him. He has
been nicknamed "I can't stand her any more". The unidentified man is inviting bids on
www.bid.it. He writes: "I want to get rid of her, as she's always got something else
to do. I've had three weekends wasted because of her commitments with the family, and
I'm quite fed up with all that." Il Nuovo website reports bid.it has been inundated
with replies and £100,000 has been offered so far. It says the woman doesn't know
anything about the auction.'

Other bizarre lots on the auction include a set of floodlights (big ones too), several
hundred rolls of bog paper, and 26 semi-professional football players. The seller
going under the pseudonym of Wor Curly Kev adds the following comments "wibble,
wibble, I'd just luv it to get promoted as we're huge if not massive, wibble,
wibble"...

---------------------------------
[21] Fergie - slight rebuke for Barthez
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 23, 2001 by bar-knee:
"He was caught in possession - and not for the first time. I have said for a long time
'you're going to be caught'. I don't think we will see him do nearly as many in other
games."

---------------------------------
[20] Fergie to give Brown his chance
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 23, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Brown showed maybe that we hold him back too much. He's a man now, and plays like a
man. He's an excellent player."

---------------------------------
[19] Latest Ruud song
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 23, 2001 by bar-knee:
To the tune of  'One United-Man United....'

Rudi, Rudi, Rudi, Rudi,
Rudi, Rudi Van Nistelrooy

Fast as Lightning twice as frightning
came to Manchester from PSV
Shoots just like a prize gunfighter
he's our very own Pistol Boy

Rudi, Rudi, Rudi, Rudi,
Rudi, Rudi Van Nistelrooy

Left foot right foot over six foot
always hits the target  in the air
the flying Dutchman always f**ks them
on the draw he is beyond compare

Rudi, Rudi, Rudi, Rudi, Rudi,
Rudi, Rudi Van Nistelrooy

by Derek

---------------------------------
[18] Fergie's horse wins
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 23, 2001 by bar-knee:
Rock Of Gibraltar won yesterday's Gimcrack Stakes.

"I am afraid the team bus had to be held up for a few minutes for me to watch the
race. I have been involved in big football matches all over the world but nothing has
given me a thrill like this."

26-05-99

>From the SUN

'Ferguson confirmed he will return to the Yor track in December to deliver the famous
Gimcrack speech.

He laughed: "I just hope they understand my accent!"

Rock Of Gibraltar is as short as 12-1 for next year's 2,000 Guineas, his stablemate
Johannesburg is the bookies' 10-1 favourite for the Classic. Trainer Aidan O'Brien
said: "Of the two Rock Of Gibral-tar has more stamina. He was not stopping at the end."

---------------------------------
[17] Radio Five Live get OT European games
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 23, 2001 by bar-knee:
Press release

'BBC Radio Five Live has signed an exclusive deal to cover all of Manchester United's
home matches in Europe for the next two years. The rights cover the 2001/2002 and
2002/2003 seasons, and return to the BBC after an absence of three seasons. Bob
Shennan, controller of BBC Radio Five Live, said: "It's really good news to be working
with United once again. "They are one of the outstanding sides in Europe and their
Champions League campaign this season is of course of particular interest as it is the
last that will be masterminded by Sir Alex Ferguson. "We're looking forward to
bringing our listeners all the drama of the campaign." Peter Kenyon, Manchester
United's chief executive, added: "We're delighted to be back on BBC Radio for our
Champions League matches. "We're hoping for a very successful season in Europe and we
know that Five Live will capture the excitement and drama of the campaign for all of
its listeners."

---------------------------------
[16] FA like quick free-kicks
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 23, 2001 by bar-knee:
FA spokesman Adrian Bevington:

"The initiative must always be with the attacking side, the team that have been
offended against. They are perfectly entitled to take a quick free-kick and the
referees are actively encouraged to keep the game moving in that respect. However, if
the player taking the free-kick, or indeed one of his team-mates, asks the referee to
move the wall or any defender back, they must then wait for the official to give the
instruction as to when to take the free-kick. That would then give the defending team
the time to prepare their wall."

---------------------------------
[15] Teams in Euro draw
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 23, 2001 by bar-knee:
Live here at 3pm. We can't get another top seed. Nor a team from your own country - so
expect a lot of cock-ups and changed groups as usual when it gets going.

Bayern Munich (Ger) Borussia Dortmund (Ger) Schalke 04 (Ger) Nantes (Fra) Real Madrid
(Spa) Galatasaray (Tur) Bayer Leverkusen (Ger)
Anderlecht (Bel) Manchester United (Eng) Porto (Por) Dynamo Kiev (Ukr)
Sparta Prague (Cz Rep) Barcelona (Spa) Roma (Ita) Lokomotiv Moscow (Rus) Panathinaikos
(Gre) Lazio (Ita) Lyon (Fra) Rosenborg (Nor)
Boavista (Por) Juventus (Ita) Deportivo la Coruna (Spa) Feyenoord (Hol) Celtic (Sco)
Arsenal (Eng) Lyon (Fra) PSV Eindhoven (Hol)
Fenerbahce (Tur) Liverpool (Eng) Mallorca (Esp) Olympiakos (Gre)
Lille (Fra)

Red News note - Mallorca away in September please, but out of that lot, it should be 3
cracking euros...

---------------------------------
[14] Euro draw details
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 23, 2001 by bar-knee:
Remember it's live here AS IT HAPPENS at 3pm

We can get Celtic, Liverpool have somehow got themselves in the top seeds placings.

Seed 1s - Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Bayern Munich, Real Madrid,
Barcelona, Juventus and Lazio.

---------------------------------
[13] Sourness not happy about Becks free-kick
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 23, 2001 by bar-knee:
"All night the referee's been saying 'wait until I blow my whistle'. You have to say
it was great play by David Beckham but it's inconsistency"

---------------------------------
[12] Teams from last night
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 23, 2001 by bar-knee:
BLACKBURN: Friedel, Curtis, Bjornebye, Short, Berg, Flitcroft, Gillespie, Duff, Mahon,
Grabbi, Jansen. Subs: Hughes, Blake, Hignett, Taylor, Filan.

Barthez, Irwin, Silvestre, Brown, Johnsen, Beckham, Giggs, Keane, Veron, Scholes, van
Nistelrooy. Subs: Gary Neville, Cole, Yorke, Solskjaer, Carroll.

---------------------------------
[11] Wenger to stay at Arse for four more years
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 23, 2001 by bar-knee:
So please let this end any links with us as our next boss please.

David Dein:

"Arsene Wenger will be with Arsenal for the next four years. He is the most honourable
and trustworthy manager in Europe. He wants to stay and he wants to extend his
contract so he will be with us. The question that keeps on being raised is whether he
has signed a ew contract, but that is not an issue. He agreed a new contract two years
ago and still hasn't signed it. I'm not worried, he will sign this contract, but even
if he doesn't he will still stay, I am convinced of that. Arsene himself has
repeatedly said that he wants to stay and only last week made it clear that he's going
to extend his contract. That is good enough for me."

---------------------------------
[10] Irwin to leave United at end of season
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 23, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I may play on beyond that elsewhere but it won't be here. You just know when it's
your time and next summer will be it for me at Old Trafford."

---------------------------------
[9] A poignant moment last night
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 23, 2001 by bar-knee:
United fans singing

"One Les Sealey"

then the trademark

"Sealey, Sealey"

and 'We'll never die'

United fans as usual at their best last night - a massive turn-out (not to be compared
with city like turn-outs)

United players wore black arm bands - and we just hope that talk of a testimonial for
the Sealey family will happen.

---------------------------------
[8] Scousers still going on about plastic treble
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 23, 2001 by bar-knee:
Jamie Redknapp:

"I don't think we have anything to be afraid of. Take last season when we won the Uefa
Cup, beat Manchester United twice in the league... I don't think we have anything to
be frightened of with so many talented players here."

---------------------------------
[7] Ex-Red happy
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 23, 2001 by bar-knee:
Keith Gillespie:

"I was delighted when it went in. It was a crazy season for me last year. I was out of
the team for a long time but I got back in and to score tonight is the icing on the
cake.

We shot ourselves in the foot because we gave away a daft equaliser - we should be
stood here with three points in the bag. I did hear a whistle from the referee - so
you learn from your mistakes. But it happened last night and we should have seen it
happen again tonight - but we're happy enough with a point. We knew they'd have a lot
of the ball, they're a class side. We did well to get back into the game in the second
half - we closed them down."

---------------------------------
[6] Fergie on his tactics
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 23, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I felt tonight maybe was a chance to try the other two players out. Ronny is fit
again and has great experience and Wes Brown - you know what a good player he is. I
thought they did very well tonight - I don't think the chaos was down to those two."

---------------------------------
[5] More from Fergie
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 23, 2001 by bar-knee:
"It's a game we've thrown away really. We didn't react to the way they started the
second half, made a lot of errors - it was an absolute throwaway. We played brilliant
football in the first half - you won't see football as good as that anywhere. You'd
expect them to fight back but for 10-15 minutes we didn't play well. Maybe we were a
bit unlucky with the first goal deflecting off David (Beckham's) head but there was
bad reaction for the second goal. You have to say their goalkeeper (Brad Friedel) made
some marvellous saves. It's a game which we know through our own carelessness we've
let two points slip."

---------------------------------
[4] But Fergie says Stam's book has nothing to do with it
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 23, 2001 by bar-knee:
"That's a thing of the past - we are putting it all behind us."

---------------------------------
[3] Jaap and Gary Nev were dropped
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 23, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Jaap and Gary had a disappointing game on Sunday (against Fulham), they know that we
all know that. We had a good chat about it and it's no problem."

---------------------------------
[2] Fergie on throwing the win away
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 23, 2001 by bar-knee:
"It was an absolute throwaway. We are sitting here wondering how we dropped those
points. When you are down 1-0 at half-time and getting an absolute doing you are going
to come out and do something emotionally and physically and I spoke about that at
half-time and said we can't allow this to happen. We didn't react at all to it.
Carelessness, slackness, it was unbelievable. For 15 minutes we deserved what we got
and were punished for playing without common sense and from a position of great
control we were scrambling to get a point towards the end. We are disappointed - I'm
sure they are disappointed."

Hopefully these warning signs will be picked up - 6 goals in 3 games let in is not
good enough.

[1] Blackburn 2 United 2
Posted Thursday, August 23, 2001 by bar-knee:
Giggs, Becks.

Fergie on Becks' free-kick: "Obviously it was a good bit of thinking. I thought we
should have had an advantage anyway. I was annoyed the game had stopped but it turned
out fortuitously for us."