RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the fans forum, and more,
check out the website at http://www.rednews.co.uk

[35] United youngster does well
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From MEN

'Manchester United youngster Jimmy Davis showed the potential that could take him all
the way to the top with a two goal salvo for the England Under 20's last night
(Wednesday).

The 20-year-old knows he will have to patient to earn a first team place at Old
Trafford, but he gave a reminder of his skills by scoring the first two in England's
4-0 win against Finalnd at the Reebok Stadium.

Davis struck after 22 minutes when he finished a training ground move from a corner
and nicked the next four minutes after the break when a powerful shot by Bolton's
Kevin Nolan came back to him off keeper Mikko Rahkamaa.

It was no more than he deserved for an eye-catching display in a solid, confident
England display against a Finnish side who defended well - desperately on occasions -
but lacked much threat up front.

'Not fussed where I play'

Davis, who made his senior United debut in their 4-0 Worthington Cup defeat by
Arsenal, said: "To play for your country and score two goals is all you can ask for. I
had other chances to have got a hat-trick so it was there for me. I've played up front
and out on the wing for United, but I'm not fussed where I play as long as I'm on the
park."

Davis was prepared to share the credit on a night when, in view of the Euro action
back home at Old Trafford, he was the only United player to score.

He added: "I think we all did well."

---------------------------------
[34] Giggs out of West Ham
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2002 by bar-knee:
Mysterious quote from Fergie

"We are measuring what we do with him - he may not be playing on Saturday at West Ham.”

---------------------------------
[33] More Fergie Spanish concern
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2002 by bar-knee:
"Spanish dominance at the moment means that we wouldn't want to face any of the top
six teams in Spain, the standard there is so high at the moment. We had the experience
of playing Deportivo and though we think we were better than them on the night at Old
Trafford, we all saw the quality of their performance against Arsenal this week."

---------------------------------
[32] The Liverpool of old
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2002 by bar-knee:
Liverpool arr back the Mickeys sing. One shot on goal all last night. They're right
you know.

---------------------------------
[31] Wes Brown praises Blanc
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2002 by bar-knee:
"A lot of people were hammering him from the start, but I think that was only because
he was the new boy. He proved from the beginning that he's still the world-class
player he always was.  Anyone who wants to learn anything about playing at centre-half
doesn't need to look any further than Laurent.  Even just watching him in training you
can learn a lot from him.  He's so steady on the ball. He looks like he's just taking
a walk in the park when he plays games."

---------------------------------
[30] Chelsea ticket details - £35 bloody pounds!
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2002 by bar-knee:
CHELSEA TICKET INFO from the official site

Chelsea (Away)
20 April, 15:00 (official site, you've got the wrong kick off time up...)

We have received an allocation of approximately 2,950 tickets, 2,500 priced £35.00
adults and £11.00 under 16s and 450 restricted view priced £34.00 adults and £11.00
under 16s.
Postal applications only are now being accepted from Season Ticket Holders, enclosing
voucher 38 (duly completed), relevant payment, sae and the following 6 match vouchers
properly affixed to this seasons official voucher sheet (2001/2002): 31 (Lille OSC) 32
(Deportivo la Coruna) 33 (Olympiakos) 34 (Boavista) 35 (Nantes) and 36 (Bayern Munich).
Private Box/Exec Suite and Club Class Members can also apply in the usual manner
quoting their facilities held.

All applications need to be received in the Ticket Office no later than 17:00 on
Friday 22 March. Please note, in the event of being oversubscribed a postal ballot
will be held to determine successful applicants.

---------------------------------
[29] Tonight's fixtures
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2002 by bar-knee:
UEFA Cup

Hapoel Tel-Aviv v AC Milan (19.00)
Inter Milan v Valencia (20.00)
Liberec v Borussia Dortmund (19.30)
PSV v Feyenoord (20.00)

NATIONWIDE
Norwich v Birmingham (19.45)

---------------------------------
[28] Fergie on next week
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I've heard that home games against Boavista can be quite aggressive but we will see."

---------------------------------
[27] Hitzfeld hope
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2002 by bar-knee:
"Boavista are a very hard team and at times at home they are bordering on the unfair"

---------------------------------
[26] Fergie looks to the future
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2002 by bar-knee:
"We have to address the Blanc situation in particular. I think his mind is made up
about quitting at the end of the season, so that has to be catered for.  I would like
him to stay for another year because of what he can give us. Apart from being a
genuinely brilliant player he has other contributions to make which people don't see.
He's very good for Fabien Barthez, for example, keeps him alert and focused. And he is
a terrific influence on the younger players, who know when they are with him that they
are learning from a master. I would like another year from Blanc, but even if he does
stay we'd still need another centre-half. I don't foresee a problem getting the money
we may need to strengthen. Good buys are determined by longevity, by contribution and
by achievement. In that respect we have done quite well here."

---------------------------------
[25] Guardian reports
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2002 by bar-knee:
that Lazio's president Sergio Cragnotti met Veron's agent Gustavo Mascardi at the
weekend.

---------------------------------
[24] massive support
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2002 by bar-knee:
The Goat thanks his bitter fans

 "What can you say about our supporters that hasn't been said before? I wanted to
shake the hand of every single one and thank them for lifting me when things haven't
gone so well."

Shake their hands? There are so few you've got the chance mate, or was that 60,000 at
Crewe the other night?

---------------------------------
[23] This will be denied again
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2002 by bar-knee:
leading to countless denials by Veron but why has he given another interview with with
Gazzetta dello Sport, Veron hitning he may leave again. Look we like the player, think
some of the abuse he has received is well out of order but these comments have to stop
and are doing him no good whatsoever

"I can't help but be pleased that Lazio are continuing their interest in me. I know
that they are going through some difficult times right now. But I would not insist on
them being in the running for trophies as a condition of my return.  We will have to
see what happens but I can only confirm what I have been saying for months. I feel
good in Manchester and right now there are many targets on the horizon for me to
concentrate on.  But I would certainly return to Lazio. It would be a dream to win lo
Scudetto with them once more."

---------------------------------
[22] Last night was
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2002 by bar-knee:
a "tug of war" according to David Lacey in the Guardian

'As Bayern sensed the safety of a draw so Manchester United found their attacks being
smothered in a grey blanket. There was no shortage of perspiration but inspiration was
what was needed and no one could find it. '

---------------------------------
[21] United's group
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2002 by bar-knee:
                      P W       D       L       F       A       Pts
Man Utd (Q)     5       2       3       0       10      3       9
Bayrn Munich (Q)        5       2       3       0       3       1       9
Boavista        5       1       2       2       2       5       5
Nantes  5       0       2       3       3       9       2

---------------------------------
[20] Fergie sums up last night
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2002 by bar-knee:
"A predictable result and a predictable game."

---------------------------------
[19] Opta match stats
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2002 by bar-knee:
Us first, Bayern second

0
        Goals
        0

2
        Shots On Target (inc Goals)
        5

7
        Shots Off Target
        3

1
        Blocked Shots
        1

6
        Corners
        3

17
        Fouls
        12

3
        Offsides
        3

2
        Yellow Cards
        0

0
        Red Cards
        0

---------------------------------
[18] Today's silly Becks story
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova

'David Beckham is to donate his England strip for his new Madame Tussaud's waxwork to
wear. The special attraction called Goal! will be launched at the London museum on
Friday March 22. It features him taking the free kick against Greece which put England
through to the World Cup finals.'

---------------------------------
[17] Wes Brown on Sven
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I don't think I'll be in Sven's plans at the moment. I've just got to get back
playing in the United first team before I start thinking about England. I did my ankle
in during training about a month ago. I had come back from being out for ages with my
knee, which was fine. Then I went over on my ankle just before the day of a game. I
hope to be back for next week"

---------------------------------
[16] FA clear
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2002 by bar-knee:
Viduka and Alan Smith of elbowing Martin Keown. We wonder what will happen to Vieria?

---------------------------------
[15] Deadline for the next Red News
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2002 by bar-knee:
is 5pm this afternoon! So if you have anything sorry for the short notice. send
anything and everything to

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

---------------------------------
[14] Team from last night
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2002 by bar-knee:
Barthez, G Neville, Johnsen, Blanc, Silvestre, Beckham, Veron, Keane, Giggs, Van
Nistelrooy, Solskjaer (Forlan).

Subs not used: Carroll, Irwin, Butt, Phil Neville, Scholes, Fortune.

Booked: Blanc, Van Nistelrooy.

---------------------------------
[13] Fergie fancies Bayern again
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2002 by bar-knee:
 "We could be facing each other again - and I really hope we will do just that in
Glasgow in two months' time. Of course, there is still a long way to go to the final.
But we are a team who are still gaining experience in these games while Bayern are
already highly experienced."

---------------------------------
[12] Trouble in Rome
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2002 by bar-knee:
PA story

'
Roma and Galatasaray players traded insults, pushes and punches following a tense 1-1
draw in their Champions League Group B match.

Several members of the Turkish team also fought with riot police, who used batons to
force them out of the field at the Olympic stadium in Rome.

"Players were tense after a tough match, and I'm still unable to understand or explain
how it all broke out," Roma coach Fabio Capello said.

The Italia Uno private television channel reported that some Galatasaray players
suffered bruises in the clashes with police.

The channel quoted police officers as saying some players of the Turkish side will be
possibly identified and charged with resisting police.

The fights broke out as players left the field following a hard-fought match marked by
rough tackles. Three Roma players and two Galatasaray players were booked by referee
Anders Frisk.

The draw kept Galatasaray's hopes to qualify for the Champions League quarterfinals
alive, while preventing Roma's qualification with one match to go.

Television tapes showed Roma's Gabriel Batistuta punching Emre Asik in the stomach and
Francisco Lima exchanging insults with some Galatasaray players while trying to reach
and hit them.

"I was provoked throughout ... I'm sorry for giving a bad example, but I had to defend
myself," Batistuta told television interviewers.

While Roma players were convinced by Capello to walk to the dressing rooms after the
brawl, a number of Galatasaray players, including reserves, fought stewards and riot
police who were trying to get them off the field.'

---------------------------------
[11] Fergie praises Giggs too
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2002 by bar-knee:
"Ryan Giggs on these nights is marvellous. There were 22 players on the field and
no-one can produce what Ryan Giggs can produce."

---------------------------------
[10] Hitzfeld praises Giggs
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I thought he was the most dangerous of the forwards and we had problems with him. In
that position he's one of the best players in the world. He was injured for a while,
but now he's found good rhythm."

---------------------------------
[9] Unbelievably
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2002 by bar-knee:
Liverpool will qualify if they beat Roma next week, despite not winning a second stage
game.

---------------------------------
[8] Different tune now
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2002 by bar-knee:
Bergkamp

"But now we're missing so many players that you can't really rotate players. Maybe
that's the problem. The sooner everyone gets back, the better it will be. It's no good
coming up to March having won a lot of games and then throwing it all away in the last
month. We all know that but we need a little help with more players back and a bit of
luck. It would be a big blow to throw it all away now as we are so near."

---------------------------------
[7] Hitzfeld still unbeaten at OT
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2002 by bar-knee:
"Of course I'm proud of that record and it's always good to play in a stadium with
such atmosphere and that encourages teams to play. I'm satisfied with the 0-0 draw and
to achieve such a result is the sign of a good defence. We've a home game now and we
want to win that game, but we'll just have to wait and see what happens."

---------------------------------
[6] Fergie wants to win group
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2002 by bar-knee:
We must win the group if you ask us

"I think it's important to win the group simply because with teams like Real Madrid -
and I think Real Madrid are always going to be the favourites - and Deportivo La
Coruna the sensible attitude is you want to avoid them. We would rather avoid the
Spanish teams because the standard there is so high at the moment. Bayern will be
thinking the same so these are important games."

---------------------------------
[5] Fergie on last night
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I'm satisfied with the performance and I'm satisfied with the result. The important
thing starting off the section is to qualify. I'm very pleased to have qualified for a
sixth successive season. Now we have the opportunity to win the group by beating
Boavista, as do Bayern against Nantes, so we still have an important game next week."

---------------------------------
[4] Bizarre story of the day
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova

'Children in Australia rank Manchester United above most of their home-grown sporting
heroes, a survey says.

Even with Australia's rugby and cricket teams frequently putting the rest of the world
in the shade, United have emerged as Australia's second favourite side.

Only the Brisbane Broncos - Queensland's leading rugby league team - were more popular
among the schoolchildren questioned in the poll, as part of a global CensusAtSchool
scheme.

Director of the Royal Statistical Society Centre for Statistical Education at
Nottingham Trent University, Professor Neville Davies, said the result showed the
power of global marketing.

He said: "It was a real turn-up for the books and I was personally surprised by what
we found, because Australians are such fanatical sports fans and like to be the best
in the world."

A spokesman for the club said: "We are not surprised we have so many friends overseas
because the Premier League is really popular. Because we have been successful, we have
picked up a lot of friends in the last 10 years."

Around 14,000 Queensland children were questioned, with one question asking them to
name their favourite team from any sport. The study follows on from a successful poll
across the UK by the RSS Centre in 2000.

United manager, Sir Alex Ferguson, backed the original survey - which confirmed his
team's status as the UK's favourite side - saying it encouraged pupils to take part in
"such a fun educational project".

Professor Davies and his team hope to use information collected in the surveys -
together with results from a survey being carried out in South Africa - to compile a
database about children in the UK, Australia and South Africa.

Samples could then be used by teachers to enhance pupils' statistical skills in maths
classes.They could also compare characteristics or attitudes of children in the three
countries in other national curriculum lessons.'

---------------------------------
[3] Results
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2002 by bar-knee:
GROUP A
Man Utd 0 Bayern Munich 0
Nantes 1 Boavista 1

GROUP B
Barcelona 0 Liverpool 0
Roma 1 Galatasaray 1

PREMIERSHIP
Blackburn 2 Ipswich 1
Chelsea 4 Tottenham 0

---------------------------------
[2] Phil Honkson
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2002 by bar-knee:
Looks like he's been on the waccy baccy...

"Never mind reaching the quarter finals, we believe we can go all the way and  be
European champions"

I wonder what song they are going to sing in the Eurovision song contest?

[1] Old Trafford Cup venue
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova

'Old Trafford and Villa Park will stage the FA Cup semi-finals on Sunday April 14.

The FA have announced Old Trafford will stage Middlesbrough's clash with either
Arsenal or Newcastle at 4pm.

Sky will televise the first semi-final, while the BBC will screen Chelsea against
Fulham at Villa Park, which kicks off at 7pm.'