RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the fans forum, and more,
check out the website at http://www.rednews.co.uk

[8] 'ead to 'ead with the irons
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 16, 2002 by tb:
>From Sky

* West Ham have never beaten Man Utd at home in the Premiership

* The Hammers have not beaten Man Utd at home since April '92 - 8 meetings since. This
is their only win in the last 13 meetings at Upton Park

* Man Utd have won only 2 of the last 9 meetings here, the last 4-2 in December '99

* 6 of the last 8 meetings here have been drawn

* The Hammers have not had a chance of recording a league double over United since the
1986/7 season - they have not actually completed the league double over United since
1976/7

* Today's Ref: Mark Halsey (Welwyn Garden City) - 49 yellow and 4 red cards in 15
Premiership games so far this season
This Season: Man Utd 0 West Ham 1 (Defoe) - 8th December 2001
Last Season: West Ham 2 (Di Canio pen, Suker) Man Utd 2 (Beckham, Cole) - 26th August
2000

---------------------------------
[7] Sven on Paul
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 16, 2002 by tb:
'He has everything. He passes, tackles, scores goals with his head and feet. He is one
of the best players in Europe.'

---------------------------------
[6] Scholesy on competition for places
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 16, 2002 by tb:
'You do worry about new players coming in, even though it has to be good for the team.
It's good that there's competition for places. It is up to people like me to try and
keep my place.

'I definitely prefer to play in an attacking midfield role. The defensive part of the
game is something I have to do. I don't work on it that often. Maybe I should work on
that a bit more.'

---------------------------------
[5] Fergie on the Ginger Prince
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 16, 2002 by tb:
'Leaving Paul Scholes out of the team for the Bayern match was one of the hardest
decisions I've recently had to make.

'He's a quality player with a great attitude and it was a difficult thing to do to
him. But to have the shape of the team as I wanted it, I had to go and do it.'

---------------------------------
[4] Gary Bailey: You're not famous anymore
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 16, 2002 by tb:
>From Teamtalk

"Some of the older fans will think (what United have achieved) is unbelievable.
"It is what Liverpool did in the 80s to some extent, but we are even better than that
now. We have gone a couple of notches higher.
"If you spend the kind of money United have on Ruud van Nistelrooy and Juan Veron,
getting to the quarter-finals is probably the least people expect."

---------------------------------
[3] Dwight back to Villa?
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 16, 2002 by tb:
For 5 million as Angel is off to Spain

---------------------------------
[2] Fergie in for Crespo
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 16, 2002 by tb:
According to the S*n we are prepared to tip up £35 million for Crespo, and this was
the reason for the trip to Rome last week. Apparently Fergie isn't interested in a
swap deal for Veron

---------------------------------
[1] Denis on next season
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 16, 2002 by tb:
"I didn't really know at the start of the season whether this would be my last season
full stop, never mind with United, but I'm definitely going on."

"I've felt really good in the last few months so I will play on for another 12 months
definitely.

"But I don't know whether it will be at United. The manager will no doubt go out and
buy defenders in the summer, but I feel sharp enough if he still wanted me.

"I want another year in the game, but that will probably be elsewhere."

---------------------------------
[28] There goes the little guy
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 15, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova

'Uefa have unveiled a licensing system which will see clubs made to fulfil five
criteria before they are permitted to take part in the European competitions.

The main criteria is all clubs must provide audited accounts, have no overdue transfer
payments and not be late in paying players' wages.

The new system will be introduced at the beginning of the 2004/5 season.

It will also make clubs have at least three youth teams, adequate stadium facilities,
be a member of a Uefa member association and have certain administrative posts such as
a head coach, general manager and finance officer.

Uefa chief executive, Gerhard Aigner, said at a news conference in Nyon: "We see this
as a positive project which will keep European football well ahead of the game in
other parts of the world.

"If this licensing structure becomes reality it will provide the necessary framework
for European football to develop further."

>From 2006, there will be an additional financial criteria that clubs wanting to play
>in Europe will have to prove their liquidity.

However, UEFA officials insist the system will not mean banning clubs who are in debt.

The Uefa executive committee also gave the green light for an investigation into the
marketing of a possible group phase of the Uefa Cup and a final decision is likely to
be made in July.'

---------------------------------
[27] Euro away ticket details
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 15, 2002 by bar-knee:
BOAVISTA AWAY TRIPS

Boavista (Away)
19 March, 19:45 GMT

Due to cancellations a limited number of match tickets, each priced the  equivalent of
£24.00 have become available for our Champions League game  versus Boavista, to be
played on Tuesday 19 March, kick-off 20.45 local time.

These are available to members who wish to make their own travel  arrangements to
Portugal, noting that sales will cease at 15:00 on Monday  18 March.

Due to the shortage of time, only personal applications can be accepted  from the
Ticketing & Membership Services Office.

All places on the club?s trips have now been sold.

Quarter-finals

We have now progressed to the quarter-finals of the competition but we are  not sure
at this stage if we will finish as group winners or runners-up as  this depends on our
result next week with Boavista and Bayern Munich's  result at home to Nantes.

The draw takes place on Friday 22 March.

In anticipation of receiving an allocation of match tickets for whoever we  will play,
applications for tickets only will be invited from members only  who wish to make
their own travel arrangements, regardless of the  opposition, and who have previously
purchased a ticket from the club for at  least one of the away games in the
competition so far this season. If  demand exceeds the ticket allocation received, a
ballot will take place in  order to determine the successful applicants.

Application forms will be available from 09:00 Monday 18 March to personal  callers at
the Ticketing & Membership Services or upon request by  telephoning 0161 868 8455 or
0161 868 8467 during office hours, which are  09:00 - 17:00 Monday to Friday.

All completed forms must be returned to us no later than 17:00 Tuesday 26 March.

If making an application Season Ticket & League Match Ticket Book holders  are
requested to produce voucher 73 duly completed and all applicants  wanting their
tickets to be posted must supply a special delivery envelope.

Due to time constraints, application forms have been sent to members who  have
previously travelled on the club's day trip this season and who may  wish to travel on
this occasion, providing a trip is to be arranged. If you  have any queries regarding
club travel, please telephone 0161 868 8464  again during normal office hours.