RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the fans forum, and more,
check out the website at http://www.rednews.co.uk

[20] Fergie explains the facts of life to Charlie
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 23, 2002 by tb:
"I was reading in the papers this week that he was hanging his colours on Liverpool's
mast, and if that's how he feels then that's fine.

"I think he misunderstands the reasons why United fans give him stick, though. It's
because he played for Liverpool, and there's always been that great rivalry, and
there's never been another player in my time to play for both clubs. The last one was
way back in the 1950s I think."

---------------------------------
[19] Fergie on Smoggies
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 23, 2002 by tb:
"They're very dogged. They don't lose a lot of goals and they're in the semi-finals of
the Cup so that will give them confidence. I thought they played well against
Liverpool and were a bit unfortunate to lose that match.

"We can't afford to dwell too much on how Middlesbrough will play, we've got to think
about ourselves. Our form is coming right at the right time and it's a match we need
to win."

---------------------------------
[18] Fergie on McClaren
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 23, 2002 by tb:
"Steve will get a good welcome from the fans, I'm sure of that. He did a great job for
us here, and it was a shame that he had to progress his future elsewhere. With me
retiring, as I thought, Steve thought he had to leave. I'm sure he'll be a good
manager."

---------------------------------
[17] Deportivo Chairman convinced
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 23, 2002 by tb:
Augusto Cesar Lendoiro:

"We beat them in The Riazor and in England and we're going to convince ourselves that
we can beat them on this occasion too."

---------------------------------
[16] Rent boy on our draw
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 23, 2002 by tb:
Albert Ferrer:

"Both teams have been in very good form, especially Deportivo apart from their last
result.

"But when they field their best team it is very difficult to beat them. It is going to
be a difficult task for Manchester United.

"They have the confidence after beating them twice and it is going to be a very
difficult game."

---------------------------------
[15] Giggsy: Leadue getting intense
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 23, 2002 by tb:
"I think the intensity of the games is better than it has been in recent years because
by this time the league had more or less been won," he said.

"Every game is like a cup final now. There are only a handful of games left and you
can see the end of the season coming and we know we have to produce every game."

---------------------------------
[14] Giggsy on quarter finals
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 23, 2002 by tb:
"They are all big teams now so it is just up to us to approach the quarter- finals in
the right way.

"We are in a good position so we have just got to capitalise on that and do our best
in the quarter-finals and see what happens.
"We have added to the squad so that should have helped us and it is coming together at
the right time.

"We have got the players to do it and it is just up to us to perform on the night.

"We didn't do that last year against Bayern Munich and we need to do it this year,"

---------------------------------
[13] Box holders to stump up for Becks?
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 23, 2002 by tb:
According to Soccernet, Utd's 181 box holders with have to cough up for their
facilities in full by June by 1st. (unlike us plebs, they have in the past been able
to spread the payments).

This will bring in £50 million, which just happens to cover Becks's new contract

Of course, knowing the source, this could be complete bolloxs

---------------------------------
[12] Pinnichio talks up the Germans
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 23, 2002 by tb:
"If it had been Madrid I would say it was going to be difficult. If it had been
Manchester United, they would have been extremely difficult.

"But I think Leverkusen are stronger physically than Madrid and United, from the front
to the back.

"We see them on TV playing in the Bundesliga. We have seen the pace and power of the
game there, particularly with Borussia Dortmund and Bayern Munich doing so well.

"Leverkusen have done exceptionally well in their own right. They are one of the top
teams in Europe.

"You look at Bayern Munich, then in status Leverkusen. They are probably the second
club in the Bundesliga. They have made great strides."

---------------------------------
[11] Curbishley: Utd have edge in title chase
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 23, 2002 by tb:
"But United may have the edge because they have the most free-scoring midfield.

"Beckham has scored the most he has ever done from midfield, Roy Keane chips in, Paul
Scholes times his scoring runs to perfection and Ryan Giggs knocks in a few as well.
Add that to the two boys up front, Ruud van Nistelrooy and whoever else you want to
put in, and it's a pretty good attacking package.

---------------------------------
[10] Scout master talks sense shocker
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 23, 2002 by tb:
And not a whinge about us in sight too!

"The Premiership is the elite league but the lower divisions are the foundations on
which football is built.

"You need both. If one dies, the other does too. Let's not forget we all started out
down there."

"I think we've reached the maximum with TV deals.

"Ten years ago I thought the money was too much and there was too much exposure on TV.

"Now it looks as if they've gone as far as they can go.

"The country is only so big and there are only so many TV viewers. You cannot conjure
up more and it has reached saturation point.

"Let this be a warning because Italy has suffered in the same way and the fans have
got disenchanted.

"If the TV money drops there will be a problem with wages - and that is also what
happened in Italy."

---------------------------------
[9] Mickey: The buzz is back
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 23, 2002 by tb:
"I think the players are excited. They're in the European Cup quarter-finals, they're
top of the league and they definitely have a buzz about them.

"With the experience they have got over the years, they accept and understand that
certain times of the season are more important than others. You only have to train
with them to see that.

"They are laughing and looking forward to the next match - it's all coming together
nicely.

"The difference this time in Europe is that previously there was always another game.
Now we are in a situation where we have two matches to go through to the next stage.

"I suppose anyone who watches football from a purist's point of view would like
Deportivo. They are very exciting, skilful and have all the attributes of a great
team.

"But we have learnt from those first games and we will come up with what we feel to be
a winning formula."

---------------------------------
[8] Mickey Phelan on Deportivo games
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 23, 2002 by tb:
"We are a different team now. When we played at their ground we thought at the time
everything was going according to plan but within five minutes it all changed.

"At home it was a bit different and you could say that one goal was down to unforced
errors. We have learned our lesson from that.

"There's no doubt Deportivo have proved they are a very good side - but, at the
moment, so are we. I think we are a lot more solid now.

"That has been shown with our performances and I don't think there will be any
surprises from either side.

"We are not conceding goals now but we are scoring lots of them, so both sides of it
are coming together well."

---------------------------------
[7] Ruud: Bring em on
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 23, 2002 by tb:
"We were not bothered which team we drew, it's all about our own performance. But the
first leg is away from home and that is a positive."

---------------------------------
[6] Ginger Prince: No more soft touches
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 23, 2002 by tb:
As he warns Deportivo:

"These will be two different matches and there is much more at stake than last time.

"We will not make the same mistakes as last time and, hopefully, will get the goals as
well.

"We've got the most difficult draw but I'm sure we're good enough.

"Deportivo have shown what a good side they are, especially when they tore Arsenal
apart at Highbury.

"But if you want to win this trophy then you've got to beat the best teams."

---------------------------------
[5] Ole: winning title is only possibility
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 23, 2002 by tb:
"The team is very positively charged. There is that same feeling of self belief and
confidence we had in 1999.

"We've done well in Europe in reaching the last eight while we now have a chance in
the league again.

"The last two seasons have not been like that because we won the title quite early.
But this run-in is really going to be exciting.

"We're up against two great sides in Arsenal and Liverpool and there isn't much
difference in the final games.

"No matter who you play, you'll have to perform on the day. Even if it's a team with
nothing to play for, we know they'll be up to beat United.

"It is the strongest Premiership I have been involved in and it will be a fantastic
finish.

"We know if we win our last seven games it is ours. We cannot let ourselves think of
any other possibility."

---------------------------------
[4] Ole is no moaner
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 23, 2002 by tb:
"Of course it's great to play every week, ask any player. But, whenever I've been left
out, I just train harder rather than moan so I'm ready when the next chance comes."

---------------------------------
[3] Ole on Ruud
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 23, 2002 by tb:
"Ruud is a special striker and all his goals are a result of hard work in training.

"He always knows where he will put the ball.He strikes it superbly and is the best
finisher I have played with."

---------------------------------
[2] But not scared of new Utd strikers
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 23, 2002 by tb:
Ole again:

"When Ruud was bought, I did not think that was it for me. I thought 'Here is a chance
to make a partnership with a great striker'.

"You never know who will click with him and the manager makes sure the door is always
open for whoever is playing well at the time.

"Now, I'm enjoying my best season with United, not just in terms of goals but my
all-round play, which is what I judge myself on."

---------------------------------
[1] Ole doesn't like losing
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 23, 2002 by tb:
"It would be heartbreaking to lose it all on the last day of the season. Because
that's what I believe it will go down to, the very last game.

"People can talk about all our successes. But, when you win, you enjoy the moment and
look forward again.

"When you lose, the feeling stays in your head a lot longer because you have to wait a
whole year to get rid of it."

---------------------------------
[51] More from United about Coruna ticket applications
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 22, 2002 by bar-knee:
from official site

In the event of being oversubscribed, a ballot will take place in order to determine
the successful applicants.

Application forms for qualifying members are available to personal callers only at the
Ticketing & Membership Services at the following times:

Saturday 23 March, 09:00 - 15:00 (kick-off)
Monday 25 March, 09:00 - 17:00
Tuesday 26 March, 09:00 - 16:30.

All completed forms must be returned to us no later than 17:00 on Tuesday 26 March.

If making an application Season Ticket & League Match Ticket Book holders are
requested to produce voucher 73 duly completed and all applicants wanting their
tickets to be posted must supply a special delivery envelope.

Due to time constrains, application forms have been sent to members who have
previously travelled on the club’s day trip this season.

These application forms should be received at the Ticketing & Membership Services no
later than 15:00 on Saturday 23 March. It should be noted that if oversubscribed a
ballot will be held to determine the successful applicants.

If you have any queries regarding club travel, please call 0161 868 8464 again during
normal office hours.

Information regarding the selling arrangements for the home leg can be obtained by
telephoning 0870 757 1968.

---------------------------------
[50] Remember
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 22, 2002 by bar-knee:
it's a new Red News tomorrow. For sale outside Old Trafford. Just £1.50.

---------------------------------
[49] MEN reports
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 22, 2002 by bar-knee:
that Ole definitely out tomorrow,  Ruud hasn't trained but will be having a fitness
test in the morning.

---------------------------------
[48] Roma fined
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 22, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova

 Ananova :

Capello, Totti and Batistuta banned by Uefa

Roma coach Fabio Capello along with Gabriel Batistuta, Francesco Totti and Francisco
Lima have received Uefa bans.

Capello has received a one-match touchline suspension while Lima and Totti have been
banned for three games and Batistuta one.

The disciplinary measures come after trouble at the end of Rome's Champions League
match against Galatasaray.

Uefa's control and disciplinary commission fined the Turkish side 40,000 Swiss francs
(£17,000).

---------------------------------
[47] More from McClaren
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 22, 2002 by bar-knee:
"Manchester United have weaknesses but they are covered up by their strengths. Their
strengths far outweigh their weaknesses. They are capable of scoring goals all the
time. Middlesbrough have a good record at Old Trafford and we can take heart from our
performance against Liverpool last week. If we play like that again, and get the rub
of the green, who knows what will happen? We have recovered from a shaky spell over
the Christmas period. The game will give me a chance to assess our progress."

---------------------------------
[46] Wenger unhappy again
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 22, 2002 by bar-knee:
this time with Coruna

"Deportivo thought they had beaten Manchester United and wanted to play them again.
They had also just beaten Real. I cannot understand why else they'd have wanted to
come second. That is what is wrong with the competition. There should be a completely
open draw. We had someone at Deportivo's game and they called us after 10 minutes and
said 'don't have any hope, there's no game here'. So we knew there was nothing at
stake for us and of course the players knew that as well."

---------------------------------
[45] Ticket allocation to be small again for Coruna
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 22, 2002 by bar-knee:
from official site

'We have been advised that we are to receive a small allocation of match tickets, the
exact number and cost of which has yet to be confirmed.

In view of this small allocation, applications for tickets only are being invited from
members who wish to make their own travel arrangements and who have previously
purchased a ticket from the club for at least one of the away games in the competition
so far this season, noting that in the first instance, priority will be given to those
who have purchased tickets from the club for at least four games this season.'

[44] Quote of the day
Posted Friday, March 22, 2002 by bar-knee:
Steve McClaren

"I don't really know what kind of reception I will get from Manchester United fans. I
am sure I will get a better reception than Paul Ince"